AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much practical difference do different size woofers make in otherwise identical sets of bookshelfs? I'm looking at the bookshelfs in the Infinity Primus line and wonder how much difference the bigger woofers in the more expensive model really make.

In any case, I'll probably go with the more expensive speakers for their higher sensitivity if not anything else.

On a side note: I have a yamaha 85wpc receiver, but I think the P162 has a amp range of 10-150w. Anything I have to worry about?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The bigger driver would be able to reproduce lower(bass) frequencies better so it frequency response would be a little extended.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish536 /forum/post/14187077

The bigger driver would be able to reproduce lower(bass) frequencies better.

Quite untrue, depends what its tuned down to.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/14187083

Quite untrue, depends what its tuned down to.

in ported designs...

also a larger driver is capable of moving more air... so lower frequencies are possible.

·
Registered
469 Posts
P142 4" 100Hz - 20kHz

P152 5-1/4" 58Hz - 20kHz

P162 6-1/2 49Hz - 20kHz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How important are these if I have a sub? Crossover would be around 80hz, so there wouldn't be much difference between the P152 and P162?

·
Registered
469 Posts
only differences may be at really high volumes

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david-me /forum/post/14187157

in ported designs...

also a larger driver is capable of moving more air... so lower frequencies are possible.

Ok well most speakers these days are ported as opposed to sealed...

And thats also kind of generalizing about the driver size. Yes typically the larger drivers will go lower, but thats really not always the case. I'm just trying to say just because it has a larger driver doesnt always mean much.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 /forum/post/14187204

Ok well most speakers these days are ported as opposed to sealed...

And thats also kind of generalizing about the driver size. Yes typically the larger drivers will go lower, but thats really not always the case. I'm just trying to say just because it has a larger driver doesnt always mean much.

I am in full agreement!

Look at the 8" driver of the x-sub...

I just said that because he was specifcally talking about the Infinity Primus line of bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwar3 /forum/post/14187186

How important are these if I have a sub? Crossover would be around 80hz, so there wouldn't be much difference between the P152 and P162?

Because 80hz is not a brick wall it is rolled off not cut out at that frequency.

Also the larger drivers deliver more room filling mid-bass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/14187375

Because 80hz is not a brick wall it is rolled off not cut out at that frequency.

Also the larger drivers deliver more room filling mid-bass.

Would I want to set the crossover at 80hz? Or should I try for lower/higher? The P162's specs (I'm probably getting that one) say it can go lower than 80.

·
Registered
469 Posts
if have a subwoofer, let it do that work. chances are far better then not that it will do a better of it anyway.

the p162s will give you better mid base at higher volumes then the p152's

I have found it best to let the sub do what the sub does best.

PS, I have the Athena F2.2's at the moment crossed over at 80hz.

FR is 35Hz-20kHz +/- 3 dB

so.....

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Larger driver will have stronger bass and stronger output (power handling) overall, compared to a smaller one of the same design. But a smaller one will often have more detailed midrange and wider dispersion as far as I understand (correct me if im wrong).

·
Registered
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14187534

Larger driver will have stronger bass and stronger output (power handling) overall, compared to a smaller one of the same design.

YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14187534

But a smaller one will often have more detailed midrange and wider dispersion as far as I understand (correct me if im wrong).

NO

edit:

clarification... you dont see higher end speakers going with bunches of 4" mid-woofers

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I dont, but I did see some going with 5" ones. Such as these where each skaaning woofer costs over $500 and the 5" size was chosen specifically for the best midrange detail

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Depending on where the woofer crosses over into the tweeter, and what kind of crossover it is, the larger woofer can start to beam at the low treble. It also may suffer some breakup as well. I believe larger woofers breakup at lower frequencies than their smaller brother woofers.

I'd probably go with either the 5.25 or 6.5" mid-woofer. They typically have a good compromise of low treble dispersion and bass response. I wouldn't typically go for a 7" or larger mid-woofer for the reasons i stated above. Smaller mid-woofers, I have seen in 4-way designs to work really well...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Touche. Most still use "quality" 6.5's though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts