AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. In celling or better options for a budget / non audio file help..

I will start that what i have current is not top of line but to me was good enough minus dialog in movies. But Ive just bought a new place where using my current center is no go. Well u see it just sitting in front fire place temp for a sound better than what tv produced,

Decent sound for movies. Very little music if any..

Current set up of what i own.

Onkyo 608
Polk monitor 60's II for L/R
Polk Cs2 for C
BIC America F12 sub..
cant re use rears so no need.

Like i stated nothing fancy up there listed.

Yes only place i could have put tv
Yes i know ceiling speakers set ups are not the best but i need to replace the Center and the surrounds to complete my 5.1 and maybe try 7.1 since i can.

What I have found so far are MP-4929 or Speaker-craft aim series that i maybe can replace my center with and not have to bad a issue as the tv is about 1 inch from ceiling.
Surrounds have to be in ceilings due to floor layout and kitchen opening will stop any floor mount or wall mount .

Any ideas what can help. I hate mismatch but need to get something. Seeing all these wires sucks..

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Your mantel appears to be 3-4 bricks (12") too high compared to what would be the norm, and is creating part of your problem. I would bring it down ( or build my own) so that you have more space for a tv and a center speaker. I'm assuming you don't plan on ever firing up your fireplace.

When I was faced with a floor to ceiling brick fireplace in our living room, I covered the hearth with marble tile, built a mantel with legs that covered most of the brick up to 18" above the firebox, and dry walled above that. Ran electrical & coax from the attic behind the drywall to behind the tv. Ran HDMI behind the drywall & mantel so that it came out at the bottom of a side wall. I only put up a soundbar, but if I was really serious and my wife approved it, I would have put front speakers in the legs of the mantel.

In our den, I put the front L/R speakers in the ceiling and I wish now that I hadn't bothered. They provide little impact unless you are standing underneath them. I plan to remodel in part so the front speakers can be in the wall where they belong. My in-ceiling rear speakers have worked out great.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would hang the center under the TV by attaching it to the underside of the mantle that the TV is sitting on.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would hang the center under the TV by attaching it to the underside of the mantle that the TV is sitting on.
Fire hazard. Rules as far as I can see if mantel is combustible 19" from top opening.

I know they say u loose were the sound us commig from on a ceiling speaker but with my TV 1" from ceiling and using the 8 " 15 degree I may be OK. I would like it to sound about the same ad my Cs2 or better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your mantel appears to be 3-4 bricks (12") too high compared to what would be the norm, and is creating part of your problem. I would bring it down ( or build my own) so that you have more space for a tv and a center speaker. I'm assuming you don't plan on ever firing up your fireplace.

When I was faced with a floor to ceiling brick fireplace in our living room, I covered the hearth with marble tile, built a mantel with legs that covered most of the brick up to 18" above the firebox, and dry walled above that. Ran electrical & coax from the attic behind the drywall to behind the tv. Ran HDMI behind the drywall & mantel so that it came out at the bottom of a side wall. I only put up a soundbar, but if I was really serious and my wife approved it, I would have put front speakers in the legs of the mantel.

In our den, I put the front L/R speakers in the ceiling and I wish now that I hadn't bothered. They provide little impact unless you are standing underneath them. I plan to remodel in part so the front speakers can be in the wall where they belong. My in-ceiling rear speakers have worked out great.
What are u using in rears?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so did some thinking and may be off base. But u need the rears and surrounds to reach each person ear. Like two people and if i did standard down facing im afraid me sitting on the right may not hear to well the surround left and rear left. Am i off base. What yall think.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went and ordered the 4929 's for rear and surround. Got them installed Saturday and hooked up. A big improvement from previous set up . Very surprised the sound for the price. I just don't know if their good enough for center in ceiling and if I should just spend a bit more on one good ceiling center. Very happy for the price point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts