AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked for hours but couldn't find the answer to this question...

Would an inferior directional speaker work better than a superior down firing cone for rear surround?

2 in-ceiling speakers in my budget, same price ($80/pair)... one with 15 deg directional cones & the other with better frequency & wattage specs.

Monoprice 15 deg cone direction with 40hz-20K & 80W max vs

Cambridge Sound Works 15 deg tweeter only direction (AMBIANCE 80) with 30hz-20K & 120W max

Using 100W AVR & using these as 4 rears in a 7.1 system 90% for movies\\TVs. The speakers would be 3' in front & in back of couch, 8' ceiling. I have an all Polk, Monitor 70 & Center CS-2 FYI. The Polk RC80i are twice the price, no directional cone...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm now down to 2 ceiling speakers choices...

Monoprice 4929: 42 Hz - 20,000 Hz, 8" Kevlar, 80 Watts Nominal, 160 Maximum ANGLED 15 DEGREES!

VS

Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance 80: 30HZ-20KHZ, 10 WATTS / 125 WATTS8" copolymer cone, Angled TWEETER only, not cone

Thus Better frequency in low range with CSW but the Monoprice has 15 deg angled cone. Whats better for HT?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I doubt the 30 hz rating is accurate for an in-ceiling speaker. A speaker needs to move a lot of air for an audible 30 hz (a 10" subwoofer). I would go with the less expensive of the two (likely the Monoprice).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually same exact price. I have the Ambiance 80 CSW at work & they sound good right under the cone & dissipate a few feet out... I'm wondering if the 15 angle would help that even if it is an inferior cone (Per specs)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18322430

Revel makes some nice in-ceiling speakers

Incredibly expensive vs. $40 each... I'm really down to these 2 models.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I would go with the Monoprice angled baffle speakers. They also have a pivoting tweeter to make the final tweak to aim at the listening position.

Sound quality and construction wise, I doubt there is really much difference in the 2 sets of speakers, but the angled baffle will help greatly in the overall aiming of the in-ceiling units towards the listener.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18323061

Sound quality and construction wise, I doubt there is really much difference in the 2 sets of speakers, but the angled baffle will help greatly in the overall aiming of the in-ceiling units towards the listener.

You're right, I know the CSW sound good at work for music but I'm using these as a HT surround & I think the directional gains will out weigh any reduction in bass response. Likely the information coming to the rears of a 7.1 system will be high frequency bullet sounds & bass would be sent to sub anyway.

Good reviews of Monoprice on their thread & I can attest to good sounds for CSW Ambiance 80s... can't go wrong either way

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
correct, the surround channels carry mostly ambient and positional effects audio and your subwoofer will handle the low frequency stuff.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did some calculations using triangles & 15 degrees, assuming a 5' ceiling to head calculation. The 15 degrees results in 1.5' of changed direction to ear with an 8' ceiling.

Thats not terribly too much... an improvement yes. A external speaker hooked up to the ceiling angled at 30-45 degrees would seem to make much more of a significant directional difference.

I think I'm going to go with the devil I know which is the Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance 80s.... no knock on the Monoprice at all... they get good reviews.

The CSW 80s did very well with Bob Marley cranked up today & that did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts