AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a family room open to the kitchen that has 5.1 surround prewired to the ceiling.  My wife does not want speakers mounted in this room.  The room is used for casual TV viewing, and we will use these speakers for music when we have casual parties/gatherings.  I know that in ceiling are not highly regarded for surround sount have a dedicated HT Room upstairs that I will put in a proper surround system to give good sound (next research project needing to be done soon!).

As for the family room, I have a built in niche, floor to room for the TV and stereo equipment.  The niche is in the middle of the wall, that is opposite the kitchen area (which is completely open to the family room).

So I have a couple questions for this set up:

1)  For the front speakers (L/C/R), I plan to put a center speaker under or above the TV.  I have some room in the niche to the left and right of the TV, that I could put L/R speakers. They would be rather close together (60"TV) ... would it be better to put beside the TV, or in the ceiling which are more spaced out?  The back speakers have to go in the ceiling for asthetics (wife wins this one, I get the HT set up my way).

2)  I've read threads on in ceiling speakers for surround, and HTD, Monoprice, BA seem to be recommended for a budget install (I'm looking at spending $150 or less per speaker in this room ... could go up some if there was a good pay off for going to say $200 per speaker).  Would these be the same speaker choices considering using them for music?  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

For the rest of the house,

A)   I have a game room that opens to the HT upstairs (via french doors).  The HT will have a proper sound system, but in the game room, I had speaker wire wired for in ceiling speakers (2). What would you recommend here?

B)  I have outdoor prewire for two in ceiling speakers in a patio space (enclosed on two sides), and two in a covered walkway going beside a side courtyard (to listen to in the courtyard area).  What would you recommend here?

Of note, I would like to stay with in ceiling, but if mountable speakers outside of the ceiling make a huge difference outside for casual music listening ... I would consider rewiring to accomodate.  I just like the clean look of the in ceiling if possible ...

Thanks in advance!

Duane

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't have much to offer other than to say thanks for the post. I have the same setup. My house came with tiny Polks already hanging from the ceiling and I'm about ready to do something better. I will say that after living with this setup for three years, I recommend not putting the center channel on the ceiling. It doesn't sound right no matter how I angle the speaker.

I look forward to the suggestions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts