AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Im moving into a new home and the ceiling is wired for surround sound.

9 foot ceiling

the viewing area is about 15x18

Looking from left to right---living room, dining room, kitchen

simple floor plan and the 5 speaker set up will be in the 15x18 portion

I know all the cons of in ceiling...but going forward anyway

the use- music, tv, movies

we are coming from listening to tv from tv speakers

so were already happy!

I need subwoofer, L, C, R, and 2 surrounds, receiver,

Outside of the 1500 budget

I also will be putting a pair of speakers in the patio, master bedroom, master bathroom for music

(any recs for these would also be welcome, budget, say 300 a pair, in ceiling as well)

Does this effect the receiver, if want to play music in diff zones?

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
If you must do ceiling speakers...(big sigh)...lol, then the PSB speakers are better than most.

Check the PSB CW 88R, 60R, and 160R.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Please please please do NOT use In-ceiling speakers for the front 3 speakers.

The Front speakers should face the seating area. So I would use in-walls for the front 3 speakers. Also I hope you aren't planning on in-wall subwoofer too

·
Registered
175 Posts
Very happy with my Paradigm AMS-100R's. Very easy to mount and they sound great.

A receiver with multiple zones and configurable amplifiers would go a long ways toward what you are looking for. If you are doing more than two zones you may need to look at more of a niche product.

My recommendation would be to make sure the receiver has an iphone/android app. It's so much easier than a regular remote and it's always with you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately they are going in ceiling in this room.

Ill look into the above suggestions

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khal80  /t/1522560/in-ceiling-setup-budget-1500#post_24483562

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately they are going in ceiling in this room.

Ill look into the above suggestions
Boston VSi 560 good close-out pricing
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosvsi560a/boston-acoustics-vsi-560-6-in-ceiling-lcr-speaker-each/1.html

Buy a receiver from them - and save another 10% on the speakers
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/specials/specials/1.html

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

So far the suggestions have no "angle" or degrees of direction, is that necessary or do i just get priced out of the ones that do?

·
Registered
19,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khal80  /t/1522560/in-ceiling-setup-budget-1500#post_24483695

So far the suggestions have no "angle" or degrees of direction, is that necessary or do i just get priced out of the ones that do?

The Boston has a pivoting tweeter - plus the wave-guide - it can work out fine

"We also use die-cast aluminum to create a patented pivoting tweeter cup that acts as a heat sink"

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I prefer in-ceilings with sealed enclosures. Monitor Audio offers some good ones for a budget. If you can stretch your budget, Triad is worth a look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

If I had the budget I would have gone with the Def Tech UIW RCS III

Anyone ever heard or can recommend Jamo IC 408/608's?

Good price on the Boston speakers recommended on this thread

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You can buy refurbs of the DefTech UIW RCS speakers within (roughly) your budget on ebay from seller bajawaverunner - that is DefTech's factory ebay store. Only caveat is you have to watch for when they get listed - they come and go.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

is it worth it to hunt for the def techs? Or are the suggested speakers just as good, especially bc they will be in ceiling?

I know its against most purist in the forum to even put them up there, but im just trying to make do and needing help from the "experts" on the forum

I can but anything and im sure ill be happy, but would like to be wise and at lease know if a audiophile came to my house he wouldnt be disgusted, ha

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I believe it is worth it because you will probably not find any other angled baffle in ceiling speakers with integrated backboxes under $300 per speaker other than those refurb Deftec UIW RCS speakers

·
Banned
431 Posts
I think it would be tough to find back boxes and an angled speaker for under $300 without going used or refurbished. Paradigms lowest cost one is their CS one that angles, it is $279 but no back box. It is round if that matter for aesthetics. Triad's least expensive is $450 with a back box. Others I can think of like JBL and Episode are all more. You might want to consider spending a little more on the front speakers and less on the surrounds to meet your budget. Prices I listed are MSRP and you maybe able to find them cheaper.

You definitely want speakers that aim at you first and if possible a back box. I lived with a Triad system like this for 10 years and it was fine. I used it with a projector screen, I don't know if this type of in ceiling system would be more noticeable with a TV on a stand. I would guess you want to mount the TV high on the wall so it is easier to trick your brain into thinking the sound is coming from where the picture is. The system was fine for back ground music and concert videos but if you sit down and just listen to music it was easy to notice the sound came from above when there was no picture. I would get a separate 2 channel system if you are a more serious music listener.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

How are the paradigms?

Its hard not being able to listen to alot of these speakers before purchase.....especially for someone who barely knows what hes looking for

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I ended up seeing a set of UIW RCS II's on ebay from bajawaverunner

I ended up spending 875 for the three.

Im not sure how big a difference the rcs II vs III's are but it saved me some money

Anyone have experience with the II's?  Are they too big for the ceiling cut out?

Now to fill in receiver, sub, and surrounds for $625....is that possible?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Looks like theres enough depth between ceiling and floors...now need to check if there is space to bracket the speakers

·
Registered
337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by khal80  /t/1522560/in-ceiling-setup-budget-1500#post_24486045

How are the paradigms?

Its hard not being able to listen to alot of these speakers before purchase.....especially for someone who barely knows what hes looking for

Three of my neighbors have Paradigms and they sound good...

Oops, didn't read down and see you already purchased...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts