Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just had a home theater installed in our first-floor living room using 5 in-ceiling SpeakerCraft AIM's. Everything is working just great, but my wife and I have noticed that the speakers can be heard in the bedrooms on the second, whether it's movies or music, and without a lot of volume.

The SpeakerCraft's are mounted in the ceiling, which is an open truss design. Is there anything we can do to dampen/lessen the level of sound transfer between the first and second floors? Is there any type of insulation that we put behind/around the speakers, considering it would have to be a retrofit and be installed through the speaker rough-in holes?

Any ideas are immensely appreciated. I need something to keep the peace in the house :)

Garry

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,976 Posts
You may want to consider getting your installer to give you a credit on what you've spent and get ceiling speakers that have rear baffles instead of the "infinite baffle" design that you have.

In MHO any professional home theater installer should have cautioned you about your choice of speakers and the consequences.

Assuming you don't want to go that route here is what I would do.

See if you can get your hands on some 4 inch thick "Safe" Roxul mineral wool batts. The Safe product is their dense version of the the mineral wool insulation series.

Get some 3/4 inch MDF boards from HD

Cut some 4 x10 inch inch and some 4 x 18 inch pieces out of each material.

glue the MDF to the mineral wool pieces with gobs and gobs of something. Or use the universal fastener duct tape . One complete wrap on each end would do.

You should now have a bunch of rectangular building blocks . What you are going to do is build a speaker enclosure in the ceiling by passing the blocks through the hole and just stacking everything in place.

I would put the MDF facing out on the sides and up on the top. Put the four sides in first. Two of the 10's and two of the 18's. Use 3 of the 18s for the tops.

Now all of this is just an untested idea....but it should work. You may have to make adjustments for the diameter of the hole, the depth of the speakers ( if it's more than the width of the blocks you can pass through the holes) and the location and spacing of the joists. If they are 16 on center this is already too big and you are going to have to scale it down. Mine are 19.2 inches on center so it would work in my case if the speakers were centered.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.