AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of building a new 7500 sq ft apartment and we plan to put audio in almost every room. We have a few questions and thought to ask in here to get ideas?

Basics: All controlled with Control4. Music from Ipod or computer is main use. Height is about 9-10 feet. Concrete side walls and drywall ceilings. Budget I guess is variable but 200-300 range, however I am open and listening for a best buy.

1- How many speakers per room? kitchen, bedrooms, social areas, dining room, bathrooms? is 2 per room a good number? Is there a formula?

2- 2-way, 3-way or 4-way?

3- What type of wire should I run for all this?

4- Should I wire each speaker in each room independently or speaker #2 from speaker #1?

5- The need for one room (HT) is for surround sound only, should I use a different speaker for this? Suggestions?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

J

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
if you are using Control4, why not use the dealers expertise to answer your questions ? Is he not providing any advice, layout, or installation ?

In-ceiling units are usually 2-way, and that's fine for ambient/background music. You need to define what you want in each room....actual stereo imaging/soundfield or just room music ?

Home run all your speaker wiring and mark the wiring well as to where it goes. At a minimum use 16 ga. 2 conductor wire that meets UL CL2 or CL3 rating for in-wall installation. I would use 14 gauge and be done with it.

For the home theater room, can the front 3 speakers be in-wall ? Using in-ceiling speakers for 5.1 surround sound is a big compromise at best. The audio tracts for the front 3 speakers is primary for the surround experience and the audio needs to "come from" the TV location, not from the ceiling 10' up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer. I lost my thread with all this activity. The Control4 installer is not the best. I am used to do things myself and I prefer doing the research first and then asking the local. The less he does the better.

As for the rooms, I prefer stereo sound in each room so I gues more than one speaker per room.

For the HR room I only need the surrounds in-celiling for wife-decor reasons.

Thanks again, I hope for more input.

J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts