Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just had a home theater installed in our first-floor living room using 5 in-ceiling SpeakerCraft AIM's. Everything is working just great, but my wife and I have noticed that the speakers can be heard in the bedrooms on the second, whether it's movies or music, and without a lot of volume.

The SpeakerCraft's are mounted in the ceiling, which is an open truss design. Is there anything we can do to dampen/lessen the level of sound transfer between the first and second floors? Is there any type of insulation that we put behind/around the speakers, considering it would have to be a retrofit and be installed through the speaker rough-in holes?

Any ideas are immensely appreciated. I need something to keep the peace in the house :)

Garry

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Garry

Equipment does not matter but who you choose to install it does.

Your speakers are infinite baffle designs which means they use the wall or ceiling as its enclosure. Newton's third law of physics tells us that the sound coming into your theater will also have a back wave of equal but opposite ( phase in this case ) reaction. Your installer would have had to have installed a back box for each speaker in the ceiling and made the speaker a sealed box design. I believe Spakercraft makes such back boxes but they are easy to fabricate if they no longer make them. In my opinion a competent installer should have presented to your the choice of an infinite baffle or sealed box design. It is neigh impossible to retrofit a back box solution for these speakers as you will need to reopen your ceiling to install the back boxes. Insulation will have no effect on the sound passing through to your second floor nor will any other retrofit solution. To my knowledge you have but one choice and that is to remove the speakers and replace them with sealed box designs. Triad makes a very nice sealed box design for both music and theaters that can be retrofitted But this means you will need to purchase new speakers. Not cost effective although perhaps worth the price to attain domestic bliss.

·
Registered
533 Posts
A good point made by audiblesolutions. It is too bad though that cost of product is a big issue with most home owners. Most consumers can barely swallow the cost of the in-ceiling speaker alone..............then you tell them the additional costs of enclosures. choke

As a past installer, we would always give the customer the option of installing back boxes. They would always have the pro's and cons of any installation. Unfortunatley, most customers would purchase the whole ball of wax at once. Tv or projector, amps, receivers, vcr's dvd players, speakers......sub.......wire .........cable........... LABOR

They have to draw the line somewhere. Hey, we all watch movies together............nobody will be upstairs anyhow. Forget the back boxes.

We could use that money to buy some dvds!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.