AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my family room to a 5.1.4 system and the forward in-ceiling atmos speakers will fall right on a drywall joint. Will this cause problems with the dry wall? The speakers are around 4lb so I'm not so much worried about the weight but rather the tape on the seam peeling away when I cut the hole. Should I worry about this or the weight?

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's not that you can't do it...it's a question of why there? It is a less-than-deal spot. Anything can be made to work, if the location is that critical.

Also, are you sure the seam isn't along a joist, already? The seam tape is not what provides the strength of the mounted drywall. You could box it in, if need be, with framing, to support the speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could avoid the seam but it pushes the speaker too far back towards the rear Atmos speakers at which point I think a 5.1.2 system would be as good and that might be the correct answer if this location is too difficult. I have attic access so I can see that the seams run perpendicular to the joists.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If there is a sheetrock joint there, then there is most likely a joist there also, they don't hang sheetrock without something to nail it too. I just cut the holes in my ceiling for my Atmos speaker upgrade and I had to move the front speakers 2 inches further forward to clear a joist. There will not be space for the speaker if you are hitting a joist.

·
Registered
124 Posts
the forward in-ceiling atmos speakers will fall right on a drywall joint.... Should I worry about this or the weight?
I would say neither. Sheetrock is almost always run perpendicular to the studs/joists, so the majority of seams will not fall on a joist. Before cutting any holes in the wall/ceiling, make sure to use a stud finder to make sure there's nothing in the way. Assuming 1/2" drywall, I don't see the weight being a problem. As for the tape on the seam, either pre-cut it with a utility knife before using the saw, or just make sure your cut stroke is when you're pushing into the tape rather than pulling away from it.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
I’m hanging drywall horizontally as is recommended and if I do it correctly my LRC speakers will all be across a seam if they are head height. I’m concerned about that. I may end up doing vertical for that area. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Where ever there is a seam in drywall, there should be a stud or joist, drywall seams don't, or at least shouldn't, float.
If the seam is floating, it will show/crack over time, whether a speaker is mounted there or not...

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Where ever there is a seam in drywall, there should be a stud or joist, drywall seams don't, or at least shouldn't, float.
If the seam is floating, it will show/crack over time, whether a speaker is mounted there or not...
Lately the recommendation is to hang drywall horizontally where possible, because it's stronger the long direction, and can curve better over uneven studs where needed. It also calls for less cutting and fewer joints. However when hanging that way, the joints are perpendicular to the studs at least in one spot on the wall.

Example:

The seams shouldn't "float" more than 16" which if you're laying 5/8" drywall it should stand up to a 36" run. If it doesn't, you need to choose better drywall.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Lately the recommendation is to hang drywall horizontally where possible, because it's stronger the long direction, and can curve better over uneven studs where needed. It also calls for less cutting and fewer joints. However when hanging that way, the joints are perpendicular to the studs at least in one spot on the wall.

Example:

The seams shouldn't "float" more than 16" which if you're laying 5/8" drywall it should stand up to a 36" run. If it doesn't, you need to choose better drywall.
Old dog just learned something new ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts