AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going through the process of building a house, and unfortunately (at least as far as the HT is considered) the floorplan just changed. It now appears that the living room (where all of the HT equipment will reside) is a very open floor plan. There will be no where to put in-walls or on walls. My wife will not allow for speakers standing in the middle of the room on stands either, so I am left with ONE option for the surrounds---In-Ceiling speakers.

I just started looking yesterday and I have seen that just about every company has in-cieling speakers. I NEED to narrow that down. My budget is about 600 dollars for a pair. I travel for my job, so listening to different speakers should be fairly easy, so all recomendations will be looked in to.

The room is about 18x18 with the back of the room opening up in to the kitchen and the foyer. Here is a horible drawing that isn't to scale, but what can ya do with L's and Dashes? It shows the TV in the corner (Which is where it will be ) and the S's are possible in ceiling speakers possitions (don't know if I will do the surround back. May run the wire for future use.

----------------

/ \\

-------------------------------/ \\

l / l

l tv/ Breakfast l

l / l

l S l

l Living Room l l

l (HT) l l

l l Kitchen l

l l l

l S? l l

l S l

l -----------------

l l

l Foyer l Dining l

l l l

l l l

-------------------------------------------------------

There are no rooms above this room, and it will be in a raised ceiling (probably about 12 feet above the listening possition.) There is also talk of going vaulted which I imagine would cause even more placement issues. If that happens, I'm just going to take all my equipment in to the office and never come out :)

Anyway, I need some ideas. I heard some niles in-ceiling speakers last night and I wasn't very impressed. They just didn't sound very clear. I know that I can not expect the best sound in the world especially from an open back speaker, but I want to at least have good sounds coming from behind.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
HMMMM, I see my drawing didn't work. apparently it takes out extra spaces. That sucks. Anyway, I still would still like some recomendations as to what brands or model numbers I should be looking at.

thanks,

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would recommend SpeakerCraft AIM series speakers. Tweeters AND woofer baskets pivot to point the drivers at the listening position. And they sound pretty darn good too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Also, although I have not heard any of these, I would imagine in-ceiling products from the likes of M&K, RBH, Paradigm, B&W and NHT would do well. As far as sound quality, they are probably pretty equal in what SpeakerCraft acheives. But the signiture of the AIM's (the ability to pivot the way they do) is hard to pass up when placement is an issue.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I believe from you replying to one of my earlier posts, that you noticed I am running some NHT CS 8.3's for rear surrounds. So far, so good. They retail for about $450/pair and have an 8" driver, plus 3 tweeters in triangular fashion. From personal experience, I can tell you that they are very easy to install and wire. As for sound, I believe they sound just as good, if not better, than the SB-2's I was originally planning on. They contain the same balance and clean sound from the rest of NHT's product lines. This is just my opinion, all I'm saying is that I would put them on your list to check out. Best of luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
B&W makes round in ceiling speakers with pivoting tweeters- there is

a CCM65 and a CCM 80. If the room is large, I would suggest the CCM80

speakers. They sell for about $600 per pair. Pivoting tweeter and the

ability to adjust high frequency response. Very cool!

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Any in-ceiling speaker can be made to sound very good if you are able to pre-install a box with damping material to provide a rigid area in the ceiling with a proper volume.

The best thing would be to determine which brand of speaker you will be using for the fronts and center and see if their is a line of in-ceilings that can timber match with your other speakers.

For example, the B&W CCM65 would timber match with the B&W CDM-NT series.

Although the cost might be a little more, you may want to use the services of a quality high-end installer to help you properly design the in-ceiling enclosure for the speaker. This would go a long ways into making any in-ceiling speaker sound better and nearly as good as a regular speaker for home theater applications.

Mike

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CycloneMike
Any in-ceiling speaker can be made to sound very good if you are able to pre-install a box with damping material to provide a rigid area in the ceiling with a proper volume.

The best thing would be to determine which brand of speaker you will be using for the fronts and center and see if their is a line of in-ceilings that can timber match with your other speakers.

For example, the B&W CCM65 would timber match with the B&W CDM-NT series.

Although the cost might be a little more, you may want to use the services of a quality high-end installer to help you properly design the in-ceiling enclosure for the speaker. This would go a long ways into making any in-ceiling speaker sound better and nearly as good as a regular speaker for home theater applications.

Mike
Mike,

I agree that it would be best to find a matching speaker and have help from a proffesional installer. Unfortunately I don't want to put any more money into this house. I want to keep the costs low as we don't plan on being in it for more than a few years.

Also, one of the exciting parts about building this house is doing some of it on my own (for better or worse) to save money and because I enjoy it. I am a true believer in let the proffesionals do the tough stuff (electricity, pluming, etc. But I want to do some stuff myself, and since this is my hobby, i'm going to be my own profeesional :) You only get better with experience right!!

Anyway, keep the recomendations coming. So far I plan on listening to NHT, Atlantic Technology, B&W, and Speakercraft.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about settings?

I noticed that most in-walls come in a 5 inch 6 inch and 8 inch version. If the backs are set for small is an 8 inch really necessary? Or should I go with an 8 inch and try to set it at large?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi, you may have made your selection already, but I can vouch for the RBH MC-615 ceiling speakers, of which I have 4 pairs throughout my home. They are powered by a Harman-Kardon HK 3470 receiver and this is a good match (except for very high volumes at which the amp can be overdriven).

It took a couple of months for these speakers to really sound good, and I thought at first that I'd made a mistake getting them. This was before I realized that speakers need some playing time to loosen up a bit. But after a while, I started to be impressed and now I'm quite pleased. There is an 8-inch version, the MC-815, but a review noted that the MC-6's (the in-wall iteration of these speakers) have better bass control than the MC-8's. Whether this is true for the ceiling versions I don't know.

See this link:

http://www.rbhsound.com/reviews/mc-6.htm

The speakers cost me under $400/pair (uninstalled). Good luck.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool thanks for the recomendation. I will be making my purchase later this summer, so I am still in the review phase.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you have the $$ and want to spend it on HT ... Thiel powerpoints are amazing. I could not justify 10-12 K myself.. worth a listen for what can be done in a ceiling... In wall Snells worked well for me at 1/3 the price...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
10-12K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I was looking at getting in to something for under 600-800 for the pair.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.