AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a home theater room that measures 24ft x 15ft and the ceiling height is 8ft. I already have a projector and a screen, which is 124in (diagonal).

Now, trying to add sound to the room. For me to setup a 7.1 in the room, what would be the recommended speakers and sub combination(it has to be in-celing). My budget is around 2K.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
There are some fairly good in-wall and in-ceiling speakers available, but 90% of the ones on the market are garbage.

There is no such thing as a good in-ceiling sub. Put one on the floor somewhere.

If you could actually FIND an in-ceiling sub that was worth listening to, it would probably damage (crack) most ceilings and walls. Bad idea.

I think the best in-wall and/or in-ceiling speakers are the ones made by PSB.

To be specific, the PSB CW-80P for in ceiling, the CW88R for in-ceiling, and the in-wall CW28.

They range from $220 to $300 each.

If you do the whole system with in-ceiling speakers, you will find the home theater sound to be extremely poor, unless you listen lying on the floor.

It is a fundamentally bad plan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the confusion, only the speakers are in-celing. I'm going to keep the sub on the floor.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I would try avoiding using in-ceiling speakers as your 3 front speakers and go in-walls instead. I generally prefer sealed in-walls, but there are several brands worth a look. Check out PSB, Paradigm, Kef, Monitor Audio, Aperion, and Axiom. If you can stretch your budget, check out Triad.

·
Banned
431 Posts
I went through this a long time ago and lived with an all in ceiling 7.2 system in my main living room for almost 10 years. I had a screen that came down in front of the fireplace. I had Triad in ceiling bronze LCR for the fronts, in wall silver surrounds mounted in the ceiling and bronze in ceiling subs. They front speakers angled towards the seating. Most in ceilings aim more down and I wouldn't recommend those. The subs were in the ceiling too and did a great job.

It sounded great for movies and TV but I didn't like it as much for just music. Concert videos were fine but regular music with nothing on the screen I would realize the sound came from above. I never noticed that the sound came from above when watching something. Your brain must just relate the two. for a non-dedicated room it works fine.

The other problem you are going to have for an in ceiling system is finding one that aims enough towards the listening position and be within your budget. Ones that I know have some models with a decent angle are Paradigm, Deftech, JBL, Triad, Episode, Thiel on ceilings.

With that being said, if you have a dedicated space or more placement flexibility I'd use in wall, on wall or free standing speakers. An in ceiling system is not as bad as others make it sound but you will get better sound if you can place the speakers more optimally. If you have to go in ceiling then get some that aim towards you and not the floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the response.

I can do in-walls, but the screen will drop down from the ceiling. So, the screen will obstruct the sound coming from the in wall speakers. Would this be an issue?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts