AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am building a new house right now and setting it up for whole house audio. I will have a surround sound system in the Great Room and I have wired for in ceiling speakers in the bedrooms, Master Bath and office. The Great Room is open to the kitchen and dining room so I did not install speakers in those areas. My question is: Am I right in my decision to not install in ceiling speakers in the public areas because there will be a surround sound system in there anyway, and therefore there is no need for the ceiling speakers and wall mount volume controls? Is this the typical way a whole house audio system is done. Is it normal to just use the stereo receiver in that room to control the volume level for that room? However, if I decide to use a dedicated PC somewhere else in the house for background music will that present a problem by me not putting dedicated in ceiling speakers in the Great Room and adjoining areas?

Thanks for any advice anyone has......

Todd

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think it's a matter of personal preference. My entryway, great room, dining room, and kitchen are centralized and open to one another, too. I actually did the polar opposite of you, and chose to install speakers ONLY in those areas, with none in the bedrooms/baths. My rationale was that the in-ceiling speakers would be used for background music when entertaining, and the great room/kitchen/dining room are the entertainment areas. Bedrooms will get their own dedicated receivers (someday). It's all about how you plan to use the space.

My situation is a little different, in that the great room doesn't have a surround sound system -- that will go in the basement HT. But even if I did have surround in the great room, I still would have included in-ceiling 'background' speakers, I think.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My Greatroom is in between my kitchen and dining room (picture an L shape where the great room is open to above).

I installed in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen and in the dining room but I also have a 5.1 system in my great room.

Think of it this way, if you entertain, in the common area you can play your music from multiple locations at a moderate level instead of blaring it from one location.

Also, a nice dinner in the dining room can really be nice with dinner music.

The only bedroom in my place with speakers is my master bedroom due to cost. Also, I don't have any kids (yet). I also put a stereo speaker in the ensuite so that I can jam in the shower.

Just some thoughts.

I would suggest to wire all rooms, so that if you ever want to add a zone in the future it will be possible with minimal headaches.

It will cost 1/5 the price to wire before the drywall goes up comapared to retrofitting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.