AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

not quite but 'headache' would be more accurate.

As many of you know as much as I do my HT with as little compromise as possible, I do my parents HT with as much compromise as possible.

Quite a few years ago (ok maybe 10) they had sound advice install some niles in ceiling speakers for dolby surround duties. In todays terms they placed them exactly where you'd place surround back speakers in a 7.1 if you were ceiling mounting them.

I'd like to mount some side surrounds, and here's where it gets tricky. The room is an outer room to the house. So all the exterior walls are cement/cinderblock. The ceiling is drywall with support crossbeams behind it to hold up the roof. When sound advice (tweeter in south florida) went to install the niles in ceiling, they couldn't run the cables across the roof. Instead they ran the cables out through the wall, ran them under the outer soffit outside, and then back into the house to come out behind the tv.

Unfortunately they didn't run 4 cables, only 2, and they aren't multistrand so I can't just pair up.

The inside of the room has high-hats in ceiling lighting and of course crown moulding.

I would have liked to just install on wall side surrounds and run the cables across the floor or just under the moulding so it would look like part of the moulding, but no speakers can be in the room. They have to be in ceiling if they will be there.

So what kind of options do I have to get cables across the room (or wireless, but that needs power...)? Snaking through the ceiling would be possible if I knew how to bend it down so that the wires go down the wall to the floor. Of course I could theoretically just cut a teeny hole in the ceiling and have the cables drop out there behind their unit and it won't be visible to the eye anyway.

Suggestions?

Seth

· Registered
604 Posts
5.1 vs 7.1 is debatable for many people. I am guessing your parents wouldn't be able to tell (or wouldn't really care). However, you probably already know this and don't care, or I am wrong and your parents do care.

Assuming you still want to do this, could you run wire under a carpet or behind a baseboard molding? I don't know if you could then fish it through a back wall that might be drywall.

I think you have a nearly impossible task.

· Registered
7,822 Posts
Flat cable behind the crown molding.

· Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,

there can't be any wires running down the outside of the wall. The flat cable behind the crown moulding is basically what I would do, except it involves removing and then replacing the crown moulding.

The 5 v 7 wouldn't be a debate if the side surrounds in 5.1 weren't completely behind the listener. However since they are, there realy isn't 5.1 or 7.1. Just 7.1 missing speakers 4 and 5.

Seth

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.