AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello masters of the AV... my wife and I have finally made the jump from rent to buy. For the first time, ever, I can build my home theater the way I want.

We have talked about room size, tasteful decor, tasteful speakers, price, and a ton of other things. Because of the small room, window placement, fireplace, etc., we THINK our best bet is in-ceiling speakers.

What we THINK would be a good idea is...

Credit: Crutchfield

- Now, my wife wants to have a wrap-around couch on the far wall. Would it be better to have the surrounds in the MIDDLE of the room (like in the 3D render) or against the back wall. Just to clarify, the TV is going above the fireplace.

- Would it be a good idea to mix in-ceiling and in-wall? For instance, in-wall front left/right/center and surround in-ceiling.

- Suggestions on speakers? I'm looking for best bang for the buck, obviously.

Thank you guys so much for the help. Also, if this isn't the correct forum, please let me know and I will make the correction.

Best,

Justin

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Unless you plan on laying on the floor looking up at your screen mounted on the ceiling, I would STRONGLY suggest you go with inwalls across the front sound stage. Unless you go with very expensive in-ceiling speakers that are aimable to the listening position. I've been in a poorly designed all in-ceiling speaker HT and I could definitely notice that all of the sound or "action" was coming from above me. It was disconcerting and didn't sound very good at all. The owners of the HT didn't seem to notice or care I guess.

As for the surrounds, it doesn't really matter all that much for HT. The "BEEF" or majority of the programming comes from the front three tracks. Especially the center channel.

As for the brands to look at.... "bang for the buck" is the most over used term in audio. To use another cliche, you simply "get what you pay for" most of the time. If you go with elcheapo in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, that's what kind of sound you're gonna get. If you want flat, dynamic in room response with higher SPL's, you're going to need to spend some serious money. Relatively speaking, your budget will be higher for the same quality in-wall/in-ceiling speakers vs free standing in-room speakers.

Why? First of all, wall cavities make VERY poor speaker cabinents. So, to get at least "decent" sound from in-walls/in-ceilings, you should at the very least buy IW/IC speakers that are in their own enclosurers. And that means brands like TRIAD, Sonance, RBH and higher end Speakercraft. And, I don't mean the flimsy plastic enclosurers, but honest to gosh braced MDF enclosurers.

You need to come up with some sort of budget and start from there. Honestly, for higher quality IW sound, be prepared to spend ~$500 each speaker (at the minimum) and up from there for the front sound stage. Doing IW/IC well just isn't cheap. You can certainly spend less, but be prepared for compromised sound quality, dynamics, SPL's etc. There will be trade offs somewhere there which will give you a less than stellar performance. Especially with regard to the lower end midbass, bass and sub bass (or subwoofer) end of the frequency spectrum.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, thank you quadriverfalls for the input. My wife and I are throwing around this idea...

VIRTUAL 7.1 surround sound

1) Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50, for the fronts, center, and surround (5.0)

2) In-wall speakers for REAR surround (2.0)

3) Throw my sub in the back corner (0.1)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay /forum/post/16970861

First off, thank you quadriverfalls for the input. My wife and I are throwing around this idea...

VIRTUAL 7.1 surround sound

1) Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-50, for the fronts, center, and surround (5.0)

2) In-wall speakers for REAR surround (2.0)

3) Throw my sub in the back corner (0.1)

Thoughts?

Your room isn't really that big. Supporting a 7.0 speaker system, requires precise placement requirements for optimal sound dispertion. Check out the Dolby and THX web sites for placement recommendations for a 7.0 speaker lay out. I'm not certain you really have the room. Remember a properly laid out and calibrated 5.0 speaker system will sound much better than a poorly laid out 7.0 speaker system every single time.

As for the Deftech or any other brand for that matter, no one can tell you what is going to sound good to you. Folks can chime in all day and say what they feel is great, but in the end, what sounds good to me may sound like dog doo to you. You simply must audition for yourself and pick something that YOU like. Trust your own ears.... you'll be glad you did.

I will say, that with that large open space into the kitchen, there is a fairly large cubic foot of volume to fill. Even though the kitchen area will be un-used for your HT experience, it will still suck the bass and subwoofage right out of that room. I strongly suggest at the minimum, a second subwoofer which would help you with both SPL's as well as evening out in room response.

Your bass and subwoofage is what anchors your whole HT experience. Don't skimp there or you will constantly be less than pleased with nearly any mains and center channel speakers that you choose.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you want good speakers you can aim, check out Anthony Gallo A'Diva. They are round 5" "balls" that come out about half way out of the ceiling - with the ceiling bracket you can easily aim to please. The nice thing is they are fully enclosed. If you choose... for the front stage you can mount them to the wall. Or put in one of their larger wall mountable speakers for the front stage. You can find them for well below msrp.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/16971320

I will say, that with that large open space into the kitchen, there is a fairly large cubic foot of volume to fill. Even though the kitchen area will be un-used for your HT experience, it will still suck the bass and subwoofage right out of that room. I strongly suggest at the minimum, a second subwoofer which would help you with both SPL's as well as evening out in room response.

Your bass and subwoofage is what anchors your whole HT experience. Don't skimp there or you will constantly be less than pleased with nearly any mains and center channel speakers that you choose.

Thank you again for all your help. We think we will just go with the V. Surround and the sub. My Onkyo 605 is only a 7.1, so two subs (I think) will be sort of impossible until I upgrade.

Again, thank you AVS.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
As mentioned, you'd just need to use a "Y" adapter for two subs if you wanted...

Another thing to consider, since you're going down the bar road instead of in-wall for the front, is an L/C/R type bar. Then put two in-ceiling speakers towards the back. I think you might get better surround effect that way than with a virtual type bar.

Here are some of the few available:

Atlantic Technology: http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=22

(good deal on Amazon if you like silver): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Mirage: http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...in-1-overview/

Triad: http://triadspeakers.com/products/owmlcr3.html

The Mirage OmniCan has its own enclosure and I've heard it's a good one: http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/...iling-speaker/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts