4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Multichannel News:

Quote:
In Demand Prepping HDTV Net

Matt Stump

Multichannel News

4/25/2003 6:10:00 PM

Pay-per-view and video-on-demand programmer In Demand L.L.C. plans to launch a linear high-definition-TV-programming channel Sept. 1 -- filled with library movies, general-entertainment fare and, perhaps, live professional-sports events -- in a bid to help bolster cable’s HD-program lineup.

In Demand executives envision this as the first of three planned channels that would sit alongside ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater and similar services within programming tiers.

Operators appear to be moving in the direction of launching such tiers, selling in the $6- to $9-per-month range, once they secure enough content.

In Demand has programming contracts with all of the major studios in some form or another, as well as deals with Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League for out-of-market games.

In Demand chief operating officer Rob Jacobson said discussions with studios are under way regarding library product.

The company is also talking with pro-sports leagues about carrying live games that aren’t subject to other rights deals.

In Demand has obtained HD rights to a handful of new movie releases for VOD, including My Big Fat Greek Wedding from HBO Films; The Ring and Catch Me if You Can from DreamWorks SKG; and Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, About Schmidt and Friday After Next from New Line Cinema.

Any movie shot on film, even if it debuted 20 years ago, can be upconverted to HD, Jacobson said.

In Demand currently has enough transponder capacity to launch the first HD feed in September, he added.

At launch, InDemandHD plans to carry 12 hours of unique programming each day, repeated once, so the entire schedule will always be in HD.

The channel will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 audio when available and showcase content in the 1080i (interlaced) format.

Additional channels In Demand hopes to launch will focus on movies and sports.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timmy1376
Sounds very nice. I like the sports deals. Sounds like they might have more sports in HD than ESPN for a bit anyway.
Doesn't matter if ESPN has 24 hours of HD. InDemand has carriage!!!

Great tip Vic!

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ripster
Doesn't matter if ESPN has 24 hours of HD. InDemand has carriage!!!

Great tip Vic!
Please pardon my ignorance. Is InDemand like Cox and only available in certain areas?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Somebody may correct me here, but as far as I know, it is a content provider of movies. They offer VOD (video on demand) so you punch a button and the movie starts. Up to this point they are SD.

Vic's find says they are going to offer a channel or more in HD. I doubt the this will be VOD, though. I also think you need the digital tier to get their stuff, but not sure. Having said that, if you got HD you got the digital tier. Need to check with your MSO to see if you got it (or check the electronic guide).

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ripster
Ken -

Does Vic's announcement mean the HD VOD is not going to happen in April/May???
iN Demand HD PPV & VOD are a unique issue, which I haven't heard much about lately. The start up date was 4/1, but I don't know of any availability, yet.

The date in the first paragraph of the Multichannel News info, Sept. 1st, is referring to the new INHD channel.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
I also found this article interesting. From earlier articles, I got the distinct impression that iN Demand intended to offer either HDTV VOD or PPV. But from this article, it sounds like they are launching a cable channel with a 12-hour daily loop and a direct competitor to Hdnet---using much of the same content they had previously announced for PPV/VOD.

Although it's not clear, it looks like this could well be a cable exclusive; if so, it will be interesting how the satellite providers respond.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I got the same take. According to Vic's article it's a linear station, not VOD. Yet Ken's link says VOD in April. But Ken seems to think that is not till Sept. 1 as well. I guess......

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
In response to the question of cable exclusivity:
Quote:
It is our intention to sell the channel(s) to whomever wants to buy them. Hope this helps. Thanks for pointing out the avsforum react. jb

Joe Boyle

VP Corporate Communications

iN DEMAND

345 Hudson St

NY, NY 10014

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,643 Posts

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
I hate to say it, but I've become SO cynical. It makes no difference if we have 1,000 HD channels if none of the majors carries them. All I read about is this channel going HD and a new service launch in HD but nowhere can these channels actually be SEEN. It's the old "tree falling in the forest with nobody there" scenerio.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Ken,

According to iN DEMAND, the INHD channel should be carried on most of the major cable companies from the first day of availability. I suppose that's the benefit of having cable outlets as your primary investors.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie R
Now if cable boxes had DVI outs .........

Bernie
Now if cable boxes had Firewire outs.........

;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.