Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I Bite The Upgrade Bullet? Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can either upgrade the old Denon 5800 to a new 4806, or, upgrade my Sharp 9000 to a Sharp 12000 projector. Is there a big, noticeable difference in audio and switching performance between the 5800 and the 4806? I don't plan to use the internal amps, since I have two Cinepro Amps pushing 750/watts per speaker to each of my three front speakers (Klipsch RF7's & RC7), with the second Cinepro sending 250/watts per speaker to each of my four surrounds (2-RS7's, and 2-RF3 for the center surrounds). My two SVS-46C subs have their own separate amp, so no problem there. So, the 4806 will be used as a pre-amp, like my 5800 and will have to handle all my antique video gear: Denon 3800 DVD (soon to be replaced by DVI/HDMI unit); Panasonic DVD recorder; Pioneer DTS/LD player (I know, I know...); two TIVO 10-250 HD receivers (one for the Sharp projector; one for HD TV when screen is up & projector not in use); one SVHS; all connections and cables Monster Z and M series. I purchased the 5800 online about 4-years ago, never had a glitch from it. Is online too much of a risk for the new digital Denons, or should I do the local walk-in routine? Finally, is there any trade-in or resale value for a Denon 5800 (no box)? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
47 looks and not one answer. Wow. Thanks, appreciate the "help".

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
if i was in your place i would take a look at a pre pro not another rec not that i do not like rec thats all i buy do to space limitations but you already have amps feeding your speakers so why buy amps your not going to use besides what a 4806 cost you could get a very nice pre pro.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oztech, thanks for the reply. The reason I keep using receivers as my pre-pro is my fear that one day, one or both of the amps will fail (I live in a big thunder storm area), and while it/they are out for repairs I'll be left with nada. But with a receiver, the internal amps are always there as an instant fall-back. I would still like to know from some of the 4806 owners, if the performance difference between the 4806 and 5700 & 5800 is obviously apparent? As far as a pure pre-pro, are there models that match the 4806 technically and price-wise?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smith
Should I Bite The Upgrade Bullet? Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can either upgrade the old Denon 5800 to a new 4806, or, upgrade my Sharp 9000 to a Sharp 12000 projector. Is there a big, noticeable difference in audio and switching performance between the 5800 and the 4806? I don't plan to use the internal amps, since I have two Cinepro Amps pushing 750/watts per speaker to each of my three front speakers (Klipsch RF7's & RC7), with the second Cinepro sending 250/watts per speaker to each of my four surrounds (2-RS7's, and 2-RF3 for the center surrounds). My two SVS-46C subs have their own separate amp, so no problem there. So, the 4806 will be used as a pre-amp, like my 5800 and will have to handle all my antique video gear: Denon 3800 DVD (soon to be replaced by DVI/HDMI unit); Panasonic DVD recorder; Pioneer DTS/LD player (I know, I know...); two TIVO 10-250 HD receivers (one for the Sharp projector; one for HD TV when screen is up & projector not in use); one SVHS; all connections and cables Monster Z and M series. I purchased the 5800 online about 4-years ago, never had a glitch from it. Is online too much of a risk for the new digital Denons, or should I do the local walk-in routine? Finally, is there any trade-in or resale value for a Denon 5800 (no box)? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If I were you I'd take it to the next level audio quality wise (since you already have separates). Get an Arcam AVP700 and save some money, and take the sound quality up a notch :). If you are that worried about losing the amp, take the $1000 u'll save and get another amp :). You could also use the spare amp to bi-amp you fronts!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.