AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am starting to convert a collection to x264/mkv using handbrake, and some disks have both ac3 and dts audio. i understand that dts is supposedly better, but since it doesn't pass through dts (and so i would convert it to ac3), is there a benefit to converting dts to ac3 or is that recompression/conversion going to cause more harm than good to the audio quality?

i guess my question is simply, what is better - ac3 or dts (supposedly of higher starting quality) converted to ac3?

thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
ac3 is dolby digital

it uses a lower bitrate than dts, but supposedly has a better compression........ (according to dolby)

dts can be passed through with the ac3 codec just as easily as dolby digital can, it's just turned off by default.

dts vs. dd comparisons aside, leaving the stream alone is going to be your best bet. Just find a way to leave it alone, and pass it through if your receiver has dts capability.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm - thanks for the response - in the audio tab in the app, when i click in the dropdown to select output audio format (after having selected an ac3 or dts track as input) it only has mp3, aac, vorbis, ac3 as options -

are you saying i should be able to pass through dts as dts? based on those outputs it doesnt seem like i can. i would like to pass it unchanged if i could -

otherwise, if i cant, should i just use ac3?

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanoo /forum/post/15507142

hm - thanks for the response - in the audio tab in the app, when i click in the dropdown to select output audio format (after having selected an ac3 or dts track as input) it only has mp3, aac, vorbis, ac3 as options -

are you saying i should be able to pass through dts as dts? based on those outputs it doesnt seem like i can. i would like to pass it unchanged if i could -

otherwise, if i cant, should i just use ac3?

You are correct -- Handbrake only allows for AAC, MP3, Orbis, and AC3 as audio ouput. Your best bet, IMO, is simply have Handbrake take the AC3 input and save it as AC3 output.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello

I think i have the same problem. I have a WD TV and i would like to use it to view some .kmv files but the thing is i have no DTS capable-receiver.

So, how can i convert it to AC3 using Handbrake?

Right now, i am testing a .mkv file on Handbrake but as far as i can see, the DTS track does not allow me to change it to AC3 in the codec audio - only AAC, vorbis or mp3.

Heres a screenshot:

In Source:
1 DTS 5.1 track

5 VORBIS

In Codec:
AAC (faac)

AC3 (passthru) - I cant select this one one.

mp3 (lame)

Vorbis

In mixdown when using DTS track:
Dolby Pro Logic II

Dolby Digital

6 channel

Mono

Stereo

So, what should i change so i can get myself a nice .mkv with the best sound possible? DTS doesnt work right now, because i dont have an optical audio input on my 5.1 system.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem as the previous poster. I can't select AC3 passthrough in Handbrake 0.9.4 for an mkv file that I am trying to convert to .mp4 so that I can play it on ATV and retain surround sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ac3 in mp4 container isn't standard

you should mux manually using yamb (or go with aac lc audio)

BHH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts