AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I can stream between RTVs in my home, but can I move shows? I'm asking because I have to reformat the drive on one of my 5060s (skipping problem). I tried IVS, but that doesn't seem to be working. Should one machine be able to see the other via IVS, or will that work only with machines outside my LAN? I also just thought of a possiblity... recording a stream from the other machine. Will that work?

Thanks,

Howie

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Loopback will only speed things up...basically, if the router has looback, it is smart enough to know that there is a file transfer that is being sent by one device on your lan and being received by anothr, so it shunts the transfer directly from one device to the other rather than sending it out to the internet and then having it received from the internet. Since internal LAN speeds are typically 100mbps and a typical dsl connection only allows uploads to the internet at 128kbps or 384 kbps, this will be much much faster for internal transfers. For example, sending a 2 hour medium quality show over the internet takes something like 24 hours but it takes less than an hour over the LAN if your router allows loopback.

But I don't think any of this would explain your original problem. If you have IVS set up correctly on both replays, you should have been able to start a show transfer from one to the other over the internet even if your router does not support loopbvack. Have you had anyone send you a clip? And have you tried sedning a clip to anyone?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Loopback will only speed things up...basically, if the router has looback, it is smart enough to know that there is a file transfer that is being sent by one device on your lan and being received by anothr, so it shunts the transfer directly from one device to the other rather than sending it out to the internet and then having it received from the internet.

But I don't think any of this would explain your original problem. If you have IVS set up correctly on both replays, you should have been able to start a show transfer from one to the other over the internet even if your router does not support loopbvack.
Well the main reason IVS is not working is because RDDNS server is not up,

(as mentioned earlier) but the statement about loopback support not

being necessary for local LAN IVS (ie having it just makes it faster) is not

correct.

If you don't have router loopback support, a packet with dest IP of router

WAN IP, which arrives on LAN side of interface, does not have port

forwarding rules applied, therefore it'll never reach the other unit and local

LAN IVS will not work.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
...the statement about loopback support not

being necessary for local LAN IVS (ie having it just makes it faster) is not

correct...If you don't have router loopback support, a packet with dest IP of router WAN IP, which arrives on LAN side of interface, does not have port

forwarding rules applied, therefore it'll never reach the other unit and local

LAN IVS will not work.
I stand corrected by my betters. But at least I was accurate about the first part (internal LAN IVS via loopback does go a whole lot faster than external IVS because the data doesn't need to upload through your internet connection and then get re-downloaded from the internet).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.