AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, the in-laws. He's in his 70s and aging fast and very tech phobic. Doesn't watch Movies (was a Teen in the Dutch resistance in WWII..does not like violence) but enjoys listening to CD's on their DVD player.

They have been using some old all in one system (receiver, speakers, turn table) that they got 20+ years ago. The speakers are floor units, look like 2 way with a port. The speaker wire is super thin and pokes out of a hole from inside the units. (cheap cheap cheap!)

Well the old receiver died, so they went to Radio Shack (I chewed him out about that!) and bought a Yamaha unit, don'r remember the model number but its got stuff way beyond their use. (Ipod integration and even Bluetooth!)

They installed it and had problems, had another son-in-law look at it to no avail, so the wife called me and I stopped by. I verified all the connections were ok, then I started playing with the setup menus. I have it as a 2 speaker system, and none on center and rears. All LFE should go to those speakers.

When listening to radio or cds, nothing seems to be coming out of the woofers. I've tried everything. Don't know what Ohm they are, tried both 6 and 8, made no difference.

If they were 4 ohm, could that be the issue? The sound all tinny like 40s radio with no good mids or lows.

Trying to pin it on the Speakers or an issue with the receiver.

Any thoughts? They have no problem buying new speakers...nothing special, was looking at some Polk book shelfs and maybe a Sub from Best Buy. They are retired and money is tight.

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
how are the speakers set small or large? If 2 speaker set up i would first set to large,and see if that changes anything for you. Pretty sure when set to large is when you'll get the lfe to the speakers,since no sub.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Set to Large already, can only be set to large when there is no Sub.....

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETninja /forum/post/20872603

Well the old receiver died, so they went to Radio Shack (I chewed him out about that!) and bought a Yamaha unit, don'r remember the model number but its got stuff way beyond their use. (Ipod integration and even Bluetooth!)

Dump the Yamaha and get another old early/mid 70's receiver, like a Sansui that is operational.

I'm listening to my Yamaha HT receiver and it has absolutely no bass. As soon as I get my old Sansui working again the Yamaha will be gone. Regards.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Nothing wrong with Yamaha if it's set up right.

I'd suggest a pair of Hsu bookshelves if about 125 each isn't too much.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20874391

I'd suggest a pair of Hsu bookshelves if about 125 each isn't too much.

I went over the settings quite a few times...they are correct. A modern bookshelf speaker should at least as much bass as these cheapo speakers they have. Its finding something in the budget. HSU may be a bit much, but I'm looking...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 /forum/post/20874550

what speakers do they have?

No name on them at all, not a single mark anywhere. Have no idea where they bought that old system. (He's an old dutch dude, not a tech or audiophile at all...)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is it beyond the return policy for whatever Yamaha unit you have? I would take it back, get a stereo receiver, and use the difference to buy bookshelfs.

check these out
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...helf&cp=1&lp=1

yes they certainly sound good for $100 a pair, believe me.

What is hooked into the Yamaha? I assume TV sound and a CD player from what you wrote. Is the record player retired, or does he still want to use it?

If return policy has passed and buying new speakers is out the question, you have no choice but to divide and conquer. Hook up another of speakers and try it out, or another receiver and try it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only thing connected is the DVD player for CD listening. They are not interested in TV sound through it..quite happy with the sound out of their old CRT TV.

They are just interested in using it for Radio and CD's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte
Maybe I'm missing something, let's see, with "Effect Off", full range output goes to the main speakers, I believe, still pathetic bass. I could be wrong. Dump the Yamaha. Regards.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teac4010 /forum/post/20875677

Maybe I'm missing something, let's see, with "Effect Off", full range output goes to the main speakers, I believe, still pathetic bass. I could be wrong. Dump the Yamaha. Regards.

teac,

I do not understand your comment. So far as I could see from OP's info, no one has even determined the model #, much less any specific deficiencies in the Yamaha receiver. So how do you reach the "spoken with authority" conclusion that OP must first get rid of the Yamaha? btw, does anyone know if this radio shack supplied Yamaha is an AVR or a receiver? Did it come with speakers, or are they trying to make do with the old "all-in-one" speakers from the old set?

Do they use the "receiver" to send TV sound to external speakers?

Is there anything in the above that I've missed? Some helpful people made good suggestions for OP to check. Walking in cold to troubleshoot something as complicated as an AVR or receiver w/o any "ownership" can be frustrating, and the OP has my sympathy.

While I've not looked at the radio shack product line of Yamaha's, I wouldn't expect Yamaha to put out any piece of audio gear that intentionally refused to send bass to a speaker set. Just in the back of my mind, in addition to speaker select large/small and SW yes/no, there may be other settings like in the sound field processing that could be futzing the amplified output. Or, possibly something as simple as wiring of speaker to receiver could be incorrect. Speaker placement is also in the mix, as incredibly bad placement of speaker can "null" much of an otherwise capable driver/cabinet design.

If persons of a certain age and temperment like it simple, I can easily imagine a couple of AVR/Receivers combined with $250 to 300/pr speakers that would be stellar for most TV rooms or Dens. Set them up once with two options (CD or TV) and those two speakers with competent AVR/Receiver would make even jaded hearing sit up and take notice.

So JETninja, take heart. You can improve the situation. Find out immediately what the Ratshack return window is for the Yamaha purchased. Next, if return is permitted do so. There are much better solutions available for the in-laws than what is in stock at radioshack. It might be helpful to start over. If return is not allowed, or is impractical, ensure that you've got a printed out copy of the Yamaha manual, most of the last couple of years Yamaha's only provide a .pdf. Don't devalue Yamaha just because RS carries the lowest models of that brand. There is a Yamaha that would provide a perfect solution, whatever that might be. I am quite confident of that!

Once you know for sure the uses the in-law's have for a sound system, consider receiver/AVR and most importantly speakers. Size of speaker and placement preferences of your IL's matter, which will lead you to many options. A receiver with a good amp section and smart sound processing together with great speakers will provide a lot for music and TV, even for older ears.

For JETninja, I've a couple of combo's in mind, total cost under $500 to 600 depending on sales. That is in the new market, never mind what could be achieved on the used. If you can find it, get a 2003 Yamaha rx-v450 or 650 together with some Paradigm or NAD bookshelves for a grand total of less than $300 at today's craigslist prices. Simple to set-up and to operate, and satisfying.

Good luck.

Mkard.

·
Registered
37 Posts

teac,

I do not understand your comment. /QUOTE]

According to the OP the Yamaha is an HT (has LFE setup options). That means, at least on my RX V596, if you turn the "Effects Off", a front panel switch, all amp output goes to the main speaker outputs and the LF content is pathetic. I was talked into keeping my unit because whenever I hooked up my subwoofer the bass would be there. Hah, when I hooked up my sub the bass wasn't there and by then it wasn't returnable. Once again, IMHO, dump the Yamaha and get an old 70's stereo receiver or amp. Regards.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Have you tried testing with a spare pair of known-good speakers? If you're like most of us then you probably have something that could be used for testing. Even a pair of old Radio Shack Minimus 7s would do.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a Yammy with no problems with it, bass was fine.

Is there something on the remote that says "music enhancer" or something like that. If I remember correctly mine was in the bottom cluster of buttons on the remote written in orange above the button as it was a multi-purpose button. If I remember correctly it was night and day listening to music when this was turned on vs off. Also is the amp in night mode?

Best bet would be to hook some other speakers up to it first... anything should do just to see if it is the AVR or speakers that are the issue.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure about the enhancer mode, but it is not in Night Mode. Note, my system consists of a Pioneer VSX1014, JBL Studio Monitors all around, SVS PC20-39, PS3, other bits. (when we replace the carpet I'm finally getting something like a Elite VSX-52) I have some experience with these things.

It is an AVR (even has Bluetooth?)

They live 20 miles away, no real easy way to get another speaker over there unless I want to open up my box of saved Studio Monitors (for future 7.1). May have to do that....I do have an old set of Bose 201's in the garage for my Garage setup. Hmmm...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.