AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very new to all of this, first of all.

Moving into a new home first of the year and want to get a new TV and new surround sound system.

I would like to get a HTIB for simplicity reasons, mainly. Plug and play with no guessing or jackin' around. I think I can swing $1,000 or less.

I would like to go ahead and get a 7.1 system. I've searched some systems, but it seems like all the information I find is two or more years old. A lot can change in the electronics world in a few short years; so, I would like to get some up-to-date information from the experts (ya'll!!).

I don't have an HDTV yet, but will more than likely get a 46" LED-LCD TV of some sort.

I have a PC that I would also like to be able to hook to the same sound system. The PC I have has a S/PDIF Out, 1x Coaxial, 1x Optical built onto the motherboard. I have an ATI HD5870 GPU. I have an HDMI slot open, but the two DVI and one DisplayPort are taken up by my three 27" monitors.

So, what do I need to get to hook up my PC and an HDTV to a single, nice, sound system? Also, I would like to hook my PC to the TV if I ever so chose to display something on it.

Thanks, ya'll

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSANSS /forum/post/19584845

Very new to all of this, first of all.

Moving into a new home first of the year and want to get a new TV and new surround sound system.

I would like to get a HTIB for simplicity reasons, mainly. Plug and play with no guessing or jackin' around. I think I can swing $1,000 or less.

I would like to go ahead and get a 7.1 system. I've searched some systems, but it seems like all the information I find is two or more years old. A lot can change in the electronics world in a few short years; so, I would like to get some up-to-date information from the experts (ya'll!!).

I don't have an HDTV yet, but will more than likely get a 46" LED-LCD TV of some sort.

I have a PC that I would also like to be able to hook to the same sound system. The PC I have has a S/PDIF Out, 1x Coaxial, 1x Optical built onto the motherboard. I have an ATI HD5870 GPU. I have an HDMI slot open, but the two DVI and one DisplayPort are taken up by my three 27" monitors.

So, what do I need to get to hook up my PC and an HDTV to a single, nice, sound system? Also, I would like to hook my PC to the TV if I ever so chose to display something on it.

Thanks, ya'll

How big of a room are we talking about?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure exactly how big the living room is in the new place. I know it's 14' wide (it's a trailer) and it's probably about 16' - 18' long.

If I can get something better, start building some systems for me to buy.

Thanks, ya'll

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It's not room size, it's the layout. Do you intend to put your seating against the wall? If so, go 5.1. If you have at least 5 feet behind your seat open to put speakers back there, 7.1 may be an option.

It also depends on where the speakers can go in your room.

But yes, you can use a 7.1 receiver for a 5.1 layout. In fact, that opens you to the better receivers. Almost all 5.1 receivers available new are entry level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see about the room layout versus the size now after some searching.

However, the way the room is laid out and the way I intend to set it up, the seating will be darn near up against the back wall(s).

Would it still be worth getting a 7.1 receiver "just-in-case" or would I be better off just spending more on a better 5.1 and/or better speakers?

Thanks a lot

edit: On second thought, this place this stuff's going in I hadn't even moved into yet. I have a vision of where I want the furniture and all, but that could change once it gets down to the real deal. I have the couch, where I plan to watch TV from is up against the back wall, sorta', but it may take some experimenting to get it right. Still could be hope for a 7.1 setup, at least in the future somewhere. Also, I am single and am busy and have busy friends so I will 98% of the time be the only one watching TV, so I could, perhaps, set the room up to where it's perfect for me to watch/hear, but may make it not so good for that rare occasion of company. Piss on company!
Hehe

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSANSS /forum/post/19595464

Would it still be worth getting a 7.1 receiver "just-in-case" or would I be better off just spending more on a better 5.1 and/or better speakers?

Well, the better receivers are the 7.1 (and higher) receivers. But you can set them to be 5.1 (or 3.1, or 2.1, etc.) Like I said, almost all 5.1 receivers available new are entry level.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on!

I attached (or hope I did) some VERY rough sketches of the living room and possible setups for furniture and speakers, etc.

Now, NOTHING is to scale, but this can kinda' give ya'll an idea of what I'm workin' with, at least I hope. lol

The first slide (did these in PowerPoint, by the way) has the couch about where I prefer it. I've been watchin' TV for 22 years by lying across a couch (love seat, matter of fact) looking towards the TV. Never been much of a recliner guy, although it may just be somethin' I have to get used to like anything new or different. It may be worth the change to have a true 7.1 system with the correct layout of the speakers, etc.
However, the second slide, with the couch long-ways, may make it kinda' hard to get back and forth through the kitchen. Like I said, may just have to experiment.

Also, I would want to hang the speakers up (not use stands)...I'm wonderin' how I'm gonna' go about hiding the wiring!!?? Not like a house where I can get up in the attic and run the wires inside the wall.
There's carpet, so I can at least cover the wires up until it gets underneath where the speaker is, but after that....what?....run a wire up the wall? That'd look real bad. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts