AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At present I have a pretty good setup with a dedicated light controlled home theater room (21 feet long by 14 feet wide by 8 feet high) a 110" diagonal Da-Mat HCCV screen (silver for better blacks) and a ceiling mounted projector that sits about 18 feet away. The projector was pretty inexpensive (Infocus X10) and I have been more than happy with it. The problem is that it is over 4 years old (I am planning to buy a new bulb) but I think it's about time to start looking for a replacement.

I do like DLP (njo problem with rainbows) and I need something with a relatively long throw (18 feet) to fill the screen. Some lens shift might be nice because my screen top is only 6 inches from the ceiling. I am not enamored of 3D but I would like something bright. In terms of budget I am willing to spend up to $2,500.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Your throw distance is no more than 17'8" to a 110" diagonal by the numbers and you are using a TON of keystone correction if that projector is ceiling mounted.

Here's the list of projectors which can hit that size from 17.5' away:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=300&p=3000&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&ltg=&t=&db=&dt=3.0.0&c=&ar=&dvi=&wr=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=17.5&i=d&is=110&sort=pop&sz=15

My recommendation would be for the BenQ W7500. It's right at the edge of your budget... maybe a bit over. But, it should deliver everything you need. Lens shift, the zoom range, and a very solid image.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. In reference to your comment on keystoning I am using it quite minimally as I followed up on a tip to tilt the screen slightly forward (not noticeable from where we sit).

The Benq7500 got a great review on the Projector people but a number of comments on this projector on a separate thread was somewhat less complementary-in effect that it was overpriced and blacks could be better. Hopefully prices will drop over the next several months.

John

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am looking too. Have a 20 x 17 Media Room and have a Mitsubishi HC1500 for the last 5 years, 720P, and surprising it looks really good. Mine is ceiling mounted and hangs down only 4 inches from ceiling. I have 10-12 foot ceilings. I didn't use much if any key stoning, Just adjusted the projectors image and it works fine.

My screen size ( built it myself and designed it to the exact specs based on my room size, via a throw distance calculator) and it's 116.5" Length by 70" Height. Basically 10' x 6'.

I replaced my bulb after 5 year and projector is great and just works day in and day out! Never an issue.

I'm looking at the following 3D projectors:

Epson 5030UB

Panasonic PT-AE8000U

Either one are great projectors. Panasonic has a [email protected] rebate through tomorrow.

You can find the Panny for under $2,100! The Epson is $2,599.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Panasonic, but I can wait a while longer so hopefully there will be more rebates coming up and the Epson 5030UB will go on sale.

I want 3D! Why not? Might as well get it and not use it, vs want it and NOT have it. Get a 3D!

The Panasonic for the $$$) is a great deal and will solve more than all your issues Nd give you 3D.

Any you guys have an opinion on the Epson or the Panasonic????

Now I might be leaning toward the Epson!!!

Thanks.

Tex

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I thought the panny $350 rebate ended a month ago? I don't see it listed at the usual retailers

EDIT: I see it now. it's only good through today though (the 31st)... turns it into $2049.99 ... not bad. I've seen it for like $1700 after rebate though a few months again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts