AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mixed my Silver Fire 2.0 last night and started spraying (CS Plus). I had planned 1 Duster/2 Normal/1 Duster coats as I'd seen prescribed here by MM, but found my initial coats to be laying down rather thin. I've gradually adjusted the mix (a little more water) and my technique (slower and closer). However, I've actually lost count of the # of coats so really need to proceed based upon appearance of the paint/screen.

So...
  1. What should I be looking for to indicate "I'm there"?
  2. Any danger in laying down too much SF?

Also, no doubt a result of my (poor) technique, I'm at a point where the top half of my screen seems to have pretty good coverage, whereas the lower part of my screen, not so much (kind of a gray speckled robin egg effect).

Therefore...

Do I address this in future coats by adjusting distance and/or pace when spraying the two areas? Seems intuitive that, going forward, I should get closer and slow down on the bottom half and do the opposite on the top. Does that make sense?

Except for the darn paint dust (which seems to be everywhere), I'm really excited about this project. Just want to make sure I make the right adjustments and finish it up right.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
what substrate are you using... mirror, sintra, thrifty white, or boc...

can you post a pic of the current state of the screen?

i'd be inclined to say... concentrate on the getting the lower half corrected.

once you've got the bottom half straightened out...

based upon pics, etc, mm will be at your rescue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The substrate is Komatex that I ended up priming with Behr flat white paint (to cover some scuffs and scratches).

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
What is a CS plus?? Hope it isn't and Iwata Eclipse CS plus.. That would not be the tool to use when painting something as large as a screen..

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I hoped as much.. could not imagine someone using an airbrush to paint a screen..

Not sure if your surface is vertical or horizontal, but when I spray clear coat on a project I like to lay the second coat down starting at the opposite sides from the previous coat.This helps to balance the tendency to rush the last part.

Also if you can place a light so it shines across the surface at a low angle it will be helpful to see spots that did not get full coverage. I like to do 2 dryer tack coats and then a wet coat followed by anther wet coat after the fist has had time to flash.

Good luck, take your time.. it is just paint!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,905 Posts
Start your next 2 rows at the bottom. Take care to maintain your distance...often as one squats down to reach a lower area, they tend to lean backwards.

As for the sprayed amount, if you can see speckles, spray until you cannot see speckles.

In judging the entire screen...once it is entirely uniform in appearance....your done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate everyone's advice. It was just in time.

I did 2 more coats, starting at the bottom, and focused on not varying my distance. After those coats, the speckles down low were gone so I laid down a light duster coat. At that point, to my eye, it looked nice and uniform without too much sheen so I quit!

Now, once I get rid of that pesky paint dust, I'll fire up the projector and see how I really did (tonight).

Again, thanks for the advice.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,905 Posts
Well great....!

That Dust? Well I'm supposing that because the Mix now has to be "dryer", as it mixes with the Air more will get dry enough to "float & bounce' off the Screen, instead of stick like a wetter mix would.

It's not hard to imagine the Wagner folks deciding that to have a HVLP that pumps out paint like a "Power Sprayer" might find a larger Customer base than the older fine mist CS HVLP Gun had.

So OK...Now as the paint cures out, you'll notice the image steadily improving...which has to be exciting because I'm sure it will look stupendous right off.

Hurry up, shoo away that pesky paint Dust" and give us the whole Skinny asap!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put up some test images (full red, green, then white) from DVE and noticed some blotches (quarter size duller spots) in various places on the screen.

Any chance that's the paint not having completely cured, or might it be my uneven application?

Also, I must have goofed on my color mix (paint sure looked like a nice gray, though), as the screen seems to be pushing red. I adjusted color temperature on the projector which helped. Should I decide/need to continue painting, any way to adjust the paint? (still have more than a quart left)

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Folsom /forum/post/18218013

I put up some test images (full red, green, then white) from DVE and noticed some blotches (quarter size duller spots) in various places on the screen.

Any chance that's the paint not having completely cured, or might it be my uneven application?

Those spots are probably due to small areas of the Substrate having slightly different texture due to something being left on the surface. I see that happen at times even with Acrylic Mirrors if I do not clean the surface prior to painting. The solution at this point is to apply at least one more normal coat, with your "BARELY" slowing down as you pass over the dull areas, then picking back up your speed again.

Quote:
Also, I must have goofed on my color mix (paint sure looked like a nice gray, though), as the screen seems to be pushing red. I adjusted color temperature on the projector which helped. Should I decide/need to continue painting, any way to adjust the paint? (still have more than a quart left)

Was the Metallic Antique Gold in proper proportions? Let me do some "fig'erin" at get back to you before you continue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Regarding my first issue, the blotches, I'm a dope. Turns out they are from my aging (5 year old) LCD projector! I didn't notice it on my other screen, but they move when I move the projector... Doh!

The red push is still there, though. I was so careful with the mixing, but can't guarantee that I didn't mess up. I was feeling least confident about my color component mix, as I struggled a bit using my syringe.

Finally, I'm feeling like the picture lacks "pop". Seems a little dull even watching an animated movie.

Maybe it's all the the projector. It's an old Panasonic AE500 with 2000+ hours on the lamp. The color may be off and it just might not have enough "juice" for the gray screen. Perhaps I should reserve judgement on the screen until after I purchase a new projector (part of the plan).

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Folsom /forum/post/18221565

Regarding my first issue, the blotches, I'm a dope. Turns out they are from my aging (5 year old) LCD projector! I didn't notice it on my other screen, but they move when I move the projector... Doh!

Dust blobs....or burned areas on the LCD panels.

Quote:
The red push is still there, though. I was so careful with the mixing, but can't guarantee that I didn't mess up. I was feeling least confident about my color component mix, as I struggled a bit using my syringe.

I'm working at verifying the solution, but it would seem that adding a few Drops of Yellow (M.A.G.) will mellow out that push.

Quote:
Finally, I'm feeling like the picture lacks "pop". Seems a little dull even watching an animated movie.

Maybe it's all the the projector. It's an old Panasonic AE500 with 2000+ hours on the lamp. The color may be off and it just might not have enough "juice" for the gray screen. Perhaps I should reserve judgment on the screen until after I purchase a new projector (part of the plan).

Ho Ho...Hahahahah......

I'd go so far as to say that is exactly why. That Oldster came New, out of the Box sporting only 850 lumens Mfg stated Lumens, and on it's best day w/new Bulb only produced about 375 actual Lumens. It's Native contrast? About 180:1.

After 2000 hrs, it's Bulb would be lucky to measure out at 175 lumens. I'

d say that if your getting any type of acceptable image on a 2.0 SF Screen, it's gotta be due to the properties inherent in SF that even allows for such to be happening. Blacks I'm sure are quite good for that PJ now, but without sufficient Lumens, Whites and Colors would take a hit.

The really GREAT news? It's gonna get so much better for you down the Road you should be feeling goosebumps a'rising just imagining it.

///////////////////////////////

An additional bit of advice about PM Notification. Go to your "User Control Panel" , and on the Left navigation menu toward the Bottom of the list find the Edit Options' link. Hit it, and down in the middle of the Page you'll see Squares you can Check off/on. Find the "Email PM Notification" command. That way, you'll not only get a Pop-Up when you log onto AVS that notifies you of a unread PM, you'll get Email notification about it as well. (..I only get about 30 or so notices a day combined...
)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts