AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's happening everyone?! First I'd like to say that this is a great forum and I've viewed it for years for various info and now I'm in need of advice.

1. My budget is $2k

2. The size isn't a big concern, but the more it looks like a nice piece of furniture, the better. Our house has a very modern look with the floor, furnishings, cabinets and tops. I like the look of the SVS (gloss black to match towers)

3. I have 5000cf of space (see attached picture) but only 2500cf is actual living area.

4. Primary use will be TV and movies (75%) with music (20%) and gaming (5%)coming last.

5. I love to hear it all! I like to feel it, too. However, the wife and kids don't feel the same about my taste. So, if I turn it up, I want to have the windows shake.

6. Like in #2, having it look like a nice piece of furniture (big black end table) would be nice as it will be at the end of the Ekornes sectional and I don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb.

7. I have two months before I must have this item in the house!

8. The other items to be used with this are:

receiver - yamaha rx-v1900 or 3900

surround - ns-iw660 (four in 7.1)

fronts - ns-777 (subject to change)

center - ns-c700 (subject to change)

tv - samsung 55in LED 8000 series

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
There are many terrific subs in that range in price between $1000-2000, some of which can excede the PB13 is one category or another, but it's hard to find one that combines all of the traits together the way the Ultra does. Looks, performance, controls...it's a total package.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would go for dual subs, they would probably do better to pressurize that space. Two Epik Dragons or Sentinels, two HSU piano black VTF3.3s, two Elemental Design A7S-450s or A5-350s, two Outlaw LFM-1 EX subwoofers, or two Rythmik F15s. Any two of those may be better. You don't have to worry about localization or bass nulls. Plus, two lighter subs are easier to move around than one large heavy sub. There is also the matter of aesthetics- I like the symmetrical look of two subs better anyway.

·
Registered
742 Posts
PB 13 Ultra...yup, I own one and it is a total beast, for movies it will thunder like Zeus and for music, oh so musical and yes very well built and awesome fit and finish, reliability second to none with service to back it up.....IMHo..no brainer.

Enjoy whatever you choose!

·
Registered
721 Posts
IMO if it were my money, and i was stuck with a single sub, i'd go with the PB13 Ultra as well. Another plausible option is the HSU ULS15, which has some gorgeous finishes.

Another thing i just thought of, if you like gloss black, and you're willing to go with a 2x subwoofer setup, which i think would look fantastic, would be 2x Rythmik D15se:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/D15SE.html

It would be pretty much impossible to beat SQ wise, but you would give up some output over some of the other options presented, though i still doubt you'd be unsatisfied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone had expierence with Digital Designs DD-PS3? I have a friend that can get two through DD at a great price.

The look and finish of the Rythmik D15se looks amazing and I'm sure the wife would like it, too.

Something about the grill on the SVS PB-13 Ultra doesn't do it for me, but it might have to grow on me.

The Elemental Designs A7-700 looks like a nice sub, a little big, but would be perfect for an end table with a piece of glass on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about the VTF-3 MK3 and the MBM-12 Mid-bass Module to support it. I have a perfect spot for each and believe it would be nice to have the additional mid-bass that sometimes isn't there is some setups.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmarquis /forum/post/16944681

What about the VTF-3 MK3 and the MBM-12 Mid-bass Module to support it. I have a perfect spot for each and believe it would be nice to have the additional mid-bass that sometimes isn't there is some setups.

Those can be a great combo, but in the deep bass territory it would take two 3.3's to do what a PB13 can do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I nearly pulled a fast one yesterday and got the P7-650's from eD. I held off after I remembered they were 48" tall as I was speaking to them on the phone.

I believe a pair would suit me better and after I received a detailed quote (specific finish) from HSU for the MK3 and MBM I might hold off on it. I just don't know. I love the look of the Rythmik after Hrimnir mentioned them in post #9... It is a hard decision, but I believe I can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned.

Decisions, decisions... I'm sounding like a woman :)

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
If you end up with the P7-650s, tell us here what you think about them. I have been curious about them, but I haven't read any reviews from anyone who has had them. I think they would be real beasts though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, after a month of searching I decided on the Rythmik Audio D15SE Signature Edition. I only ordered one, but may decide to get another if I feel it is needed.

My only reasoning to get this instead of the P7-650s or another unit was the finish. I think it will look great with the other items if I decide to install it in the open.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I received my sub yesterday and it looks amazing! I will take pictures of its location and review once I get everything dialed in. My wife also loves the look which keeps me from having to sleep on the couch!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts