AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am very interested in one of these 3 subs, Bic V1220, Bic F-12, or JBL ES250PBK. I am well aware of the reviews on the Bic they are all very good considering the price. I wish I had more funds because the 500 and up range has some great subs. I was looking at the JBL and in my opinion it has more power than I would ever need plus if all I go by is the price I can get pretty much all 3 for just about the same price. The JBL being "like new" and the 2 Bic brand new. My room size is 220sq.ft ( a rectangle however I have one spot that is recessed in 2' by 6' where I keep A/V. I know this is far from ideal but my front main Bic DV62si the left is 2' back from the right.I have tried to compensate by adjusting the rcvr, also this one area leads to the hallway and kitchen and dining room.) I am pretty sure the rest of the speakers are set up okay per diagrams found online.( a 7.1 set up). I am considering buying a second sub to match the first based on what I have read on either the V-1220's or the F-12 when a good sale comes along. I do not need to be sold on the BIC just need opinions on the JBL, I have read good and bad so anyway.

Thanks Norman

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Another question concerning JBL, regardless of the make there are good and bad reviews and it seems there is about a 10% + or - 1 or 2 that have had a bad experience. How reliable is the JBL, I know if you play it wide open for a long time something is bound to break but under normal levels will it last? Last question considering my room size 220 sq.ft. do you think this will sound okay considering its range ( I watch lots of movies and once in awhile when the kids are out I like to play music )?

Thanks again

Norman

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
The JBL ES250PBK has been on sale on Amazon since 2004. Given the popularity of the brand name, you are going to find some people that have problems--and those kinds of people love to come back and post reviews. Given that it has a 4.5 star rating, that's pretty good

Basshead would know more than I do, but for a 2200 sq ft room, I would think the JBL would be one of the best you could get to fill that much space (assuming you don't have cathedral ceilings).

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I wish I had a 2200 sq.ft. room ( my house is only 1200 sq.ft.) the room is only 220 sq.ft. with 8' ceilings. I guess it would be fair to say the JBL would more than likely be okay for my needs with the ability to annoy neighbors once in awhile?

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwf477  /t/1523014/in-need-of-an-opinion-on-either-of-these-3-subs#post_24495334

Another question concerning JBL, regardless of the make there are good and bad reviews and it seems there is about a 10% + or - 1 or 2 that have had a bad experience. How reliable is the JBL, I know if you play it wide open for a long time something is bound to break but under normal levels will it last? Last question considering my room size 220 sq.ft. do you think this will sound okay considering its range ( I watch lots of movies and once in awhile when the kids are out I like to play music )?

Thanks again

Norman

They had a problem with the amp turning on years ago...that has since been rectified. Being I have one hooked up to one of my internet juke boxes and it averages 1600 plays a month for the last 8mo, I think it is fair to say that is not a issue. The sub gets driven hard in a commercial enviroment and we have not had any issues yet. Out of all the subs we have placed in our locations, I have only had trouble with a polk psw202 that ended up needing a driver and amp replacement, also a psw505 I had to re solder the terminal lead to the voice coil. I would buy the JBL when on sale, but honestly I am really impressed with the dayton Sub1200 for the price. The JBL looks much nicer and more powerful, but the dayton is tough to beat

For 129.00.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwf477  /t/1523014/in-need-of-an-opinion-on-either-of-these-3-subs#post_24495420

I wish I had a 2200 sq.ft. room ( my house is only 1200 sq.ft.) the room is only 220 sq.ft. with 8' ceilings. I guess it would be fair to say the JBL would more than likely be okay for my needs with the ability to annoy neighbors once in awhile?

Sorry. I meant 220 sq ft.

Yeah. I would think it would be more than fine unless you have teenagers hell bent on destroying the sub with dubstep (lol). But see what Basshead says

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1523014/in-need-of-an-opinion-on-either-of-these-3-subs#post_24495437

They had a problem with the amp turning on years ago...that has since been rectified. Being I have one hooked up to one of my internet juke boxes and it averages 1600 plays a month for the last 8mo, I think it is fair to say that is not a issue. The sub gets driven hard in a commercial enviroment and we have not had any issues yet. Out of all the subs we have placed in our locations, I have only had trouble with a polk psw202 that ended up needing a driver and amp replacement, also a psw505 I had to re solder the terminal lead to the voice coil. I would buy the JBL when on sale, but honestly I am really impressed with the dayton Sub1200 for the price. The JBL looks much nicer and more powerful, but the dayton is tough to beat

For 129.00.

Just curious. What about dual SUB1200s? Would you go with that over the JBL?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1523014/in-need-of-an-opinion-on-either-of-these-3-subs#post_24495853

yes I would.

Now that would give him dual subs to start for the price of the JBLs

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1523014/in-need-of-an-opinion-on-either-of-these-3-subs#post_24496231

they are on sale and they always have charged a 15-16.00 up charge on shipping...none the less they are a great deal for what they are.

Well then, I got lucky when I bought mine in Dec. without the surcharge.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice everyone gave. I did make my mind up and decided to get the JBL ES-250PBK. Maybe the Dayton would have been better but Amazon lowered the price on the used JBL's they were all in "like new condition" and for $130 plus tax and free shipping it was hard not to pass on it so I purchased it. In my opinion the difference between what I currently have ( Yamaha YST-SW216 ) should be night and day, cannot wait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts