AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys,

Looking for a new receiver that can handle 1080p 3D and 4K input/output, 6+ HDMI inputs, can power 7.1+ speaker setup, multi-zone HDMI video output (one going to 1080p projector, one going to 4K HDTV).  Bluetooth would be nice for streaming music from mobile device.  Will have plenty of devices connected to it though that can stream so Wi-Fi and any "Smart" apps are very much not needed which will hopefully help reduce price.

Will most likely be throwing a Darblet on the back end for image sharpening so I don't need that type of thing built in.  Gaming will be important so nothing that might introduce a whole lot of additional processing/input lag.

I'd say it will be used for 45% movies/TV, 45% gaming, 10% listening to music.  Budget $1000 or less but if need be could dig a bit deeper.  Have been looking at Denon brand but really am pretty new to this and would welcome any and all input and advice.  Thank you for the help in advance.

Also, a side note/question:  If I have a device using component/composite connectors, is there any receiver out there that can convert that input into a HDMI out and output that signal?  Or does it have to also output the same way it receiver the input?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
There are very few receivers, at that price level, that can actually power most 7.1 systems with low distortion and good sound quality.

Most of them have marginal power supplies that are just not able to provide decent power at low distortion levels (less than 2%).

The one that is significantly better than any other, IMO, is the NAD T758, which sells for $1000.

That is the only one I could recommend at that price level.

4K is pie in the sky at this point, and it is highly questionable whether the industry will ever support it, so I would give that a low priority.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1523521/in-need-of-receiving-some-help-for-a-new-receiver-1000-budget#post_24511145

There are very few receivers, at that price level, that can actually power most 7.1 systems with low distortion and good sound quality.

Most of them have marginal power supplies that are just not able to provide decent power at low distortion levels (less than 2%).

The one that is significantly better than any other, IMO, is the NAD T758, which sells for $1000.

Thanks for the response sir.  What price level would I need to be at to get what I'm looking for, and in that price level what would you recommend?  As this receiver will hopefully last me for the next 10 years or so, I think it is something I could dig a little deeper if need be.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1523521/in-need-of-receiving-some-help-for-a-new-receiver-1000-budget#post_24511145

4K is pie in the sky at this point, and it is highly questionable whether the industry will ever support it, so I would give that a low priority.

I see it can't do 4k which I guess is okay at this point, though I would prefer it assuming it does catch on and become more affordable tech.

Bigger issue with the NAD T758 is that it does not have the multi-zone output.  I am looking for a receiver that can do at least 2 HDMI video outputs and run them both simultaneously.  Is that not possible in this price range?  I was originally looking at the Denon 3313CI because of this need which is around $800 currently.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The Marantz SR6007 is about $1100 and has 110 W per channel, 6 hdmi inputs, 2 outputs.  Any word on if that is a solid receiver?  Has pretty good reviews from what I've seen.

The Denon  AVR-3313CI has 7 HDMI in and 3 out which is pretty fantastic at just under $1000.  Also had 4K pass through and 125 W per channel which is more than enough for my needs I think.  It says there are 3 hdmi outputs (2 parallel, 1 discrete).  Does this mean I can output 3 video signals, but only 2 that are different and not 3 dfferent ones simultaneously?  So, I can have 2 TVs showing the same thing and a third TV showing a different thing?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Any personal preference between the 3 models? (3313CI, X3000, and X4000)

As far as functionality etc., I think the X3000 has everything I "need" and even some of the nice bells and whistles I'd enjoy. I think aside from the MultEQ XT32 addition in X4000 there's not much else added that I would use, at least that I can think of at the moment. Is the MultEQ XT32 addition worth the extra $400 or so?

·
Premium Member
91,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131  /t/1523521/in-need-of-receiving-some-help-for-a-new-receiver-1000-budget/0_100#post_24511884

Any personal preference between the 3 models? (3313CI, X3000, and X4000)

As far as functionality etc., I think the X3000 has everything I "need" and even some of the nice bells and whistles I'd enjoy. I think aside from the MultEQ XT32 addition in X4000 there's not much else added that I would use, at least that I can think of at the moment. Is the MultEQ XT32 addition worth the extra $400 or so?

Depending on your budget, yes, it is, however, there are additional features offered as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts