AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering running a less than ideal setup with my rack. Long story but to keep things clean looking I need shorter power cables.

I need some no longer than 3 feet. As short as a .5-1ft would be even better. I am sick of rigging everything and prefer to not cut an solder.

Is there anywhere to get affordable short power cables?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/19595917

Are these super cheap cables decent?

They aren't super cheap. Monoprice is about a third the price. Quality is probably the same as what you are replacing. Decent power cables are not expensive.

Actually, monoprice might be better. Theirs are 14 AWG. Most are 18 AWG.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Would that be the kind with the large D shaped IEC connector (like on a computer)? If so, should be no problem at all. If its the kind with the skinny figure 8 shaped IEC connector, might be more of a problem.

Even though you are tired of cutting and soldering, cutting your existing cable might be simplest. No need to solder. Just use a plug from your local home improvement store. The terminals screw down (preferable) or are insulation displacement.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/19596048

Would that be the kind with the large D shaped IEC connector (like on a computer)? If so, should be no problem at all. If its the kind with the skinny figure 8 shaped IEC connector, might be more of a problem.

Even though you are tired of cutting and soldering, cutting your existing cable might be simplest. No need to solder. Just use a plug from your local home improvement store. The terminals screw down (preferable) or are insulation displacement.

Figure 8 types...

This is making me think I just sell my power conditioner and then I wont need shorter cables (no use explaining my whole odd setup but long story short the output devices will be stacked on top of the conditioner). I got it so cheap and never got to use it yet so selling it won't be a problem and I wont miss it since i never used it

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/19596199

Probably don't need the power conditioner anyway...

ha I see what side of the power debate you fall on...

I origonally bought it for a rack mount setup but the expense of doing that doesn't make sense for me.

I have the apc h15 - For what I got it for it was a steal and I could sell without losing much

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Yep, I believe that the engineers that designed the power supplies of our AV equipment knew what they were doing in the first place and that most of us don't need power conditioning. Sure, there are exceptions, mostly in 3rd world countries IMHO. The power sequencing capabilities of some units can be useful, and it gives up a bunch of receptacles without having to rewire your house. And the gear looks neat. Sure can't hurt anything. If you like it, more power to you.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/19596239

Yep, I believe that the engineers that designed the power supplies of our AV equipment knew what they were doing in the first place and that most of us don't need power conditioning. Sure, there are exceptions, mostly in 3rd world countries IMHO. The power sequencing capabilities of some units can be useful, and it gives up a bunch of receptacles without having to rewire your house. And the gear looks neat. Sure can't hurt anything. If you like it, more power to you.

I never used it so dont know if I like it.

I do fear the talk about them compressing dynamics or limiting them (whatever you want to call it.)

It was only 140-150 so it was a steal and I bought with little research

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/19596048

this is what i did for many of my power cables... hacked them down to the desired length, and stuck a screw down plug on the end...

works for me...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.