AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background...

Bought my KDS-60A2000 not quite 3 years ago (Aug '06). The bulb went out about 2 months ago. Got the bulb replaced, and shortly thereafter I started to notice that the screen had a green tint to it when no picture was being displayed. Thinking this might be a white balance issue I tried tweaking the settings through the user menus, but that only reduced the intensity of the green-ness. When going through the menus, it seems that the green hue is more intense in upper part of the screen just to the right of center.

So now I am dealing with the dreaded "green blob" issue. When I bought the TV, I also picked up the extended warranty from Best Buy. Since I am under 3 years, I apparently have a couple of options on how to address this issue.

1.) Service through Best Buy

2.) Service through Sony

Now the question:

Do the new optical blocks truly resolve this issue?

·
Registered
72 Posts
There is a post on here somewhere that deals with a survey on replaced OB's on Sony and if that resolved the issue. For the life of me, not sure if Sony extended OB warranty included your model. Some did replace OB's and are still going, some didn't and had OB replaced multiple times, but again not sure if that included your model. Seems to me it was the XBR's that Sony extended that warranty to, but I had a KDS-50A2020 and right on the manual it said 2 year OB warranty, but only 1 year on labor. Meaning you get the OB free, but pay the labor after 1 year. Mine went out shortly afte 1 year, so I went with extended warranty and they sent me a check for the TV purchase price. Haven't replaced it yet, just keep watching the big yellow screen till it either dies or I get up off my can and go get something to replace it.

Sure you might be able to go with Sony, call them and they may offer a new OB or another TV discounted, not free.

Not familiar with BB warranty, but if it were me, I would call them and ask what they think or can offer. They may offer to fix it or replace it. Depending on their warranty terms, you may get a better TV, I mean bigger more options and not necessarily better quality. Well hope you know what I mean.

Good luck, keep us posted on what goes on.

here is the link on this forum for your model.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=701578

·
Registered
82 Posts
Extended warranty on OB does apply to A2000 series. I have a KDS-60A2000 bought August 2006 and received notification that warranty on OB extended to April 2010. Fortunately, have not had to replace OB as have not experienced dreaded green blob issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to give Best Buy a call first (since I paid extra for the service) and see where it goes. I've got over a year left on that warranty, and from what I understand - if they take over 14 days to repair a problem, or have to fix the TV 3 times Best Buy will replace it. Not that I'm really interested in trashing a TV that is in mint condition otherwise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 60” 2006 Sony A2000 is history. The $3000 TV that was supposed to last a decade only made it 33 months with just 2800 hours on it. The TV overheated and shut down at the beginning of this month. Just from my description of the flashing red light, BB was able to determine that the TV needed a fan, and an oscillator. After waiting four weeks without BB finding the oscillator, they did a “Junk Out”. They came and collected it and gave me $1900 credit towards a new TV. For a couple hundred $ more, I’m going to get a brand new, latest model, thin Panasonic plasma that won’t overheat and I won’t have to worry about lamp burn outs or optical block blobs happening after the warranty period ends. Sounds like I made out fairly well to be rid of that dinosaur. I hope that you all have better luck with your TVs than I did. Now, time to go shopping for that new TV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a follow-up.

The Best Buy tech came out and replaced the optical assembly. I didn't realize how much of a green tint there was until I saw it after the repair. If it continues to have problems, I will see about getting Best Buy to junk it out as well.

Lewis - you probably could have requested them to do a "junk out" sooner than 4 weeks. From what I understand, if a single repair takes more than 2 weeks (14 days) the CS can do a "junk out" at their discretion.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have something similar to the green blob problem, but Im not sure if it truly fits into an OB problem category.

My 60a2000 has an issue where there is severe yellowish image retention on the right hand side of the set. Any static images longer than 20-30 seconds (including the edge of 4:3 programming) leaves a yellow haze for a few minutes. Is this an optical block problem?

It started a long time ago simply as a small yellowish discoloration at the right edge of the screen. Then it spread out farther, and started remaining there.

Im starting to get the same thing on the left side with blue. So far only a discoloration right at the edge, but Im worried it will start to spread and retain images like the right side does.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_A51 /forum/post/16995663

I have something similar to the green blob problem, but Im not sure if it truly fits into an OB problem category.

My 60a2000 has an issue where there is severe yellowish image retention on the right hand side of the set. Any static images longer than 20-30 seconds (including the edge of 4:3 programming) leaves a yellow haze for a few minutes. Is this an optical block problem?

It started a long time ago simply as a small yellowish discoloration at the right edge of the screen. Then it spread out farther, and started remaining there.

Im starting to get the same thing on the left side with blue. So far only a discoloration right at the edge, but Im worried it will start to spread and retain images like the right side does.

Any suggestions?

Yes...it is an OB problem. My XBR1 had it and I got the OB replaced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have an A2000 get it fixed quick then sell the POS. I had mine replaced last year and kept telling myself to sell it but it really wasn't worth much so kept it.

Was going to sit down and watch some tv and get out of home office for some time and I heard a loud pop as I turned the TV on.

Blinking RED none stop. BULB? maybe if it is it will be the 3 Since Oct 2006

1 - 10 of 10 Posts