AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some signals come from the "empire state building" and some from the "world trade center"

I don't recall where cbs signal is but i would shoot for the same building where cbs is.

PS : Not all stations are at 100% yet.

Bluerain

------------------

"Soon my friend,Soon...."

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I don't live in NY, but I live close to it. The best signla I get is from the worst station unfortunately. Fox. I forget there disgnation number. . . its either 44 or 45.

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Rain:
Not all stations are at 100% yet
Yes they are. ALL the stations at the WTC are now operating at their full licensed power. The ones at the ESB have been for quite a while.

I live in Queens, and have no problems pulling in all the digital stations, except for the most recent one (WNET-DT) which is still giving me sporadic problems. I get the highest signal strength on WABC and WPIX, with WNBC and WWOR a step behind. WCBS comes in a little lower (mid 70's) but still reliable. The weakest signal I get is WNYW, which most of the time is in the 60's, and often gives me problems getting a lock.

Here's a list of the NYC digital stations currently on the air, with their channel assignments and location:

WCBS-DT (56) (ESB)

WNBC-DT (28) (WTC)

WNYW-DT (44) (ESB)

WABC-DT (45) (WTC)

WWOR-DT (38) (WTC)

WPIX-DT (33) (WTC)

WNET-DT (61) (WTC)

WNYE-DT (24) (Brooklyn)

Good luck!

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 07-15-2001).]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Vic,

Thanks for the insight. I don't know why I can't get anything but WCBS-DT, especially since it comes in so well -- high 70s on the DTC 100, and in the 90s on the Sony HD100. But I will keep aiming at the WTC (figuratively, since I don't really aim at the ESB to get CBS) until I can figure out the right combination of antenna, vector, signal booster (and STB), to get them.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm on a mission to come up with another OTA channel in NYC besides WCBS-DT (which comes in great). I've got both the Sony HD100 and RCA DTC100 STBs right now, signal amplifiers, signal attenuators, a Silver Sensor, an outdoor bowtie, an outdoor Yagi, and I'm determined to find another station.

What is the next easiet HD station to pull in?

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PF:
I don't know why I can't get anything but WCBS-DT.... But I will keep aiming at the WTC
Then, as I discovered last weekend, also with a Silver Sensor, you may not receive WTC stations--unless you have line-of-site reception. As I outlined here this morning, I picked up all WTC stations by pointing my SS away from WTC, northward. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

·
Registered
517 Posts
John

Are all the stations in NYC transmitting on VHF or UHF or both?

I am asking because using the OTA antenna I get all the local channels which leads me to believe that the OTA antenna must be both UHF & VHF.

Thanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Referring to analog channels, some of the VHF stations used to duplicate their programming in UHF. I noted this a few years ago but haven't looked into it recently. A detailed TV station listing, such as the weekly NY Times schedule, should pin that down.

If your MATV connection, like mine, has only one output, and it's a combined UHF/VHF signal, then you'll need a UHF/VHF splitter, available at many TV parts/repair stores. (Make sure it's a MATV setup, with a rooftop antenna, not a private cable system of some type.) One splitter output goes to your analog UHF tuner, the other to the VHF. (My vintage MATV system has 300-ohm connections, which typically require a 300-to-75-ohm transformer for connection via coax to most TV sets.) You could also test the MATV output by just connecting one cable directly to a analog UHF tuner.

There's also a chance you have some specialized MATV, since channels from the antenna(s) can be upconverted by systems to any channels at all. If so, you need some type of guide from building management--or lots of experimenting.

That might not help you for HDTV, though, because you need the channel numbers for the NYC's 7-8 HDTV/SDTV stations, all UHF, listed in numerous threads here, or an indication what the upconverted channel number would be. Also, of course, you can't view these digital UHF channels, practically, without a HDTV tuner. Good luck, and let us know if there's anything further, and how 1080i finally looks on screen.

To simplify everything, don't worry about whether you can pick up UHF HDTV or not. You can, but reception varies, as others have indicated. But you'll need a UHF antenna and a HDTV STB. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
907 Posts
I can only get CBS and FOX. If you are getting CBS, you should be able to get FOX on 44 without moving the antenna. I always get Fox slightly better than CBS when the antenna is aimed properly. With both being on the Empire State Building, if you get one you should get the other...

-Gergg

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It just doesn't work for me that way, unfortunately. Once, I was able to pull FOX in weakly with a outdoor yagi antenna sitting on the master bedroom floor! Needless, to say, that was something less than acceptable from the viewpoint of domestic tranquility.

I think that perhaps I'm just too low because I'm in a house to get good reception, and that I'm getting WCBS-DT by fluke. Except that when CBS held their press conference to announce the inauguration of HD broadcasting in NYC, they did so from the basement of a local office building and used an RCA DTC100 and a $2.99 Radio Shack antenna.

But just for the record, what floors are you guys on in your apartments?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I live in a private house. Where exactly are you in NYC?

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you get good reception on analog channels via an OTA antenna (rooftop of apt building) does that mean you will also get good reception on HDTV? (I learned earlier from a posting that the reverse is not true)

Secondly, if I get a strong signal then will any HDTV receiver work equally well?

I get ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, PBS, WB11 and UPN by connecting a cable to the OTA antenna outlet in my apt. The signal is pretty strong and clear, no snowing but some ghosting. I don't know if the signal will wink out during rain/snow.

THanks

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Earlier this year, when I couldn't tune in low-power HDTV local stations (UHF), I tried our building's ancient master antenna (MATV) system. It became clear our MATV system had no UHF antenna. Using a simple 12-in. UHF/VHF b&w set for test purposes, I only got UHF reception using this set's built-in rod antenna. So, there's no significant relationship between getting a string of VHF stations and UHF reception (either analog or digital HDTV). You need a UHF antenna in NYC. The Silver Sensor, I've found, works quite well in a bad multipath environment such as NYC. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Just a note on how I finally managed to tune in Fox (44), the only station I wasn't able to tune over the weekend. For all other stations I position my Silver Sensor, as you'd expect to use it, with its book-size, chevron-shaped antenna elements parallel to the floor. As a last resort, with the SS atop my RPTV, I repositioned the chevron elements at a right angle to the floor (they pop out of a plastic stand). The tip of the chevrons was pointed at the Empire State building, and "Divorce Court," in standard-definition TV, popped into view. (CBS, also atop the ESB, can be tuned similarly, but with the chevrons parallel to the floor.)

All other NYC digital stations, excluding low-power 24 (PBS), are tuned with the SS in its conventional chevron orientation, pointing roughly northward, or about 110 degrees from the World Trade Center. My 6th-floor mid-town location faces away from the WTC, and another building about 50 feet away blocks the view. I use a Philips 64PH9905 RPTV, which has a built-in HDTV tuner, and most likely first-generation multipath-rejection circuits. -- John

------------------

STOP DVI/HDCP AND DFAST

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The SS works best for me when the antenna blades are perpendicular to the floor -- at least for WCBS-DT. It will work with the antenna parallel to the floor, but positioning needs to be even more precise for it to work. I've positioned it with the tip pointed north, south, east and west, and just about every vector in between. I'm going to take it to the roof next, in the hope that an open air "view" will help the antenna pull in those magical radio waves. I'm not sanguine about the prospects, however. There seems to be just something peculiarly difficult about my location.

[This message has been edited by PF (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PF,

YOU SAID : "Once, I was able to pull FOX in weakly with a outdoor yagi antenna sitting on the master bedroom floor! Needless, to say, that was something less than acceptable from the viewpoint of domestic tranquility."

I busted up laughing when i read that.. LOL

Goodluck!

PS : I'm very lucky, on the top floor of co-op (6th) with a clear straight view of ESB and WTC. ( i can see them with my eyes)

Have you tried more than one antenna from different directions? ( maybe u can hook them up to one lead to your tv.)

I'm not even sure this will work ( i'm learning as i go along)

Don't give up : >

Bluerain

------------------

"Soon my friend,Soon...."

[This message has been edited by Blue Rain (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Actually, the RCA DTC100 has two antenna inputs, and I have a third on the Sony HD tuner that came with my set. If I also buy the Dish 6000 OTA module, I could have 4 different antenna feeds from 4 antennae aimed in 4 different directions! Thanks for the idea. The mind boggles at all of the possible combinations and permutations.

But I must say, I'm encouraged by the fact that you live "only" on the 6th floor. That's still higher than the top floor of my house, but maybe with a pole and some guy wires...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.