Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum Members,

I have to relate a good news story. A year ago I ordered a Grayhawk screen from a HT dealer mentioned on this forum from time to time. I waited four months for delivery and received a Studiotek 130 instead of the Grayhawk. I mentioned this to the dealer and he said he'd get a RMA, to expedite an exchange, not to worry. This conversation took place every month till I just gave up. I suspect thats what he was hoping for all along. Here it is a year later and I decided to contact Stewart directly in hopes of exchanging. Not even a day later Don Stewart himself called me to say they ( Stewart ) stand behind their customers ! After all this time they are exchanging screens with me for the price of shipping. I call this the finest customer service I've ever encountered in my life. If you're in the market for a screen, I highly suggest you by a Stewart ! This is one happy Moonshadow.......

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
More expensive or not, that is worth every penny and I would be willing to pay more knowing that it would be used for these types of situations. In fact, that's why I have mine on order and anxiously awaiting delivery. You can read about my story with Don Stewart on the "my fiasco" thread. Don saved the day, I hope he sells a million of these, but doesn't retire:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Three cheers for STEWART SCREENS.. customer services is alive and well at STEWART... I have had the 96" Studio-Tek 130 for awhile and am very pleased with my selection. Just recently upgraded my PJ to the RUNCO VX1000C. A wonderful viewing experience with this combination.. Ron AZ

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am glad to see that customer service is still alive and well at Stewart. I just got my Firehawk this weekend. Now I need to install it to the ceiling. So if Don is reading this, why were the ceiling brackets black instead of white which, would have match the screen’s case? The eyebolts were painted white.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I, too, am a very happy Stewart Filmscreen customer. I've had my Grayhawk for one year. I'm so happy with their product and service that I am currently waiting on an estimate to change out the Grayhawk material for Firehawk material. I'm staying with Stewart. I wouldn't buy from anyone else...

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
If you go to Infocomm, say hi to Don. You'll find he's a great guy and more than happy to discuss HT with AVSforum members.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Moonshadow,

I wonder which dealer you used because my story could be a very bad one - hope not.

I live in Europe and here the Stewart screens are twice the price compared to the US. so i ordered my Firehawk 123" screen from a dealer in the US and they shipped it here a week ago. i was so happy to see my new Firehawk screen arrived.

my projector has not arrived yet so i just put the screen on the floor waiting for an installer to come (will be next week hopefully). then a couple of days ago i noticed with horror that the label on the screen said "Studiotek 130". i was shocked.

i emailed the dealer about that saying they sent me a wrong screen and they replied immediately and in a very polite way that I was not the only person asking about that, and that my screen was indeed a Firehawk, but Stewart still uses old labelling and invoicing system.

SO - he said - don't worry. it's just a wrong label.

I didn't, at least until I read your post. I guess I could just roll down the screen and see if it's gray or white. but it's an electrical screen, not installed yet and i don't want to damage it.

I don't even want to think that I got the wrong screen. to ship it back from Europe is expensive, a real pain, and only packing it again would be a nightmare (besides that, i live on the 7th floor and the screen didn't fit in the elevator so i had to carry it from the stairs...).

If Don or other Firehawk owners read this, I would be glad if they could reply about this "wrong label" thing.

thank you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Lostchild,

Interesting! At least you found a U.S. dealer who was willing to ship you the product. My serach engines don't reveal any such dealers. If you're in doubt about whether or not it's a Studio Tek or Firehawk, you've got no choice but to open the package and see. Don't ***** foot around.

I'm still trying to work out why Stewart screens should be double the price in Australia. In the 19th century when sailing ships took 6 months to travel from the U.K. to Australia, people could expect many items to be double the U.K. price, for good reason. But in this modern age of fast container ships and great administrative and business efficiency, I just can't see a reason. Blaming it on the 'middleman' is just a cop out. I don't buy that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LostChild: I will look at my box tonight but I don’t remember seeing any Studiotek label. The box had packinge slip in one of those plastic bags that they attach to the side of the box and that list the items for the screen, size, screen type, mounting type, etc.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
"i emailed the dealer about that saying they sent me a wrong screen and they replied immediately and in a very polite way that I was not the only person asking about that, and that my screen was indeed a Firehawk, but Stewart still uses old labelling and invoicing system."

Hopefully... What the dealer is referring to is our old screen assistant dealer software that does not have the FireHawk material in the database. This would be the Software that is in the dealer's possession. Our in-house invoicing software does have the Firehawk model number. I am somewhat skeptical that you might be getting the runaround. Also, please note that the product and outside of the box would be labeled FireHawk.

Please find the serial number on the outside of the carton and post so we can look up the history of the unit.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Don, and thank you so much for your involment in this thing.

Sadly, the golden sticker on the metallic part of the screen says "Studiotek 130". Nothing else on the product itself. There's only another sticker on the carton box, filled with a black pen, but it doesnt mention the fabric. Just the customer (in this case, my dealer), the model (LX 123 HD) and other details about image size, masking and special features (in my case, a European voltage 220 V motor), plus the serial number.

I emailed you in private with all the details about the dealer, my serial nr and some email exchanges we had.

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot again.

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
Getting to know Don Stewart, both as Special Guest moderator, and in buying my screen from AV Science and having discussed the screen directly with Don in advance; and thanks to Don sponsoring our CES Dinner Party - well, its just a total pleasure. Don is a gentleman and class act who truly cares about his customers. And his company's quality products are second to none!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I really did not want to spend much money on a screen and I am considering a DIY job, but wow - with someone that owns the company getting this involve I may just dish out the bucks.

I am impressed!

Good luck lostchild.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Dear Lostchild,

We looked up the serial number and this screen is indeed a Studiotek 130. It was originally ordered from dealer as a Studiotek fabric. I have called the dealer and we discussed your order. The dealer will be contacting you soon. The dealer wants to verify that you are using a digital projector and not a CRT display device. If this is the case, the dealer has agreed to pay for the freight both ways and will exchange your screen for a new unit with FireHawk fabric. If you should encounter any further problems please advise Stewart.

Regards,

Don

Quote:
Originally posted by lostchild
Hi Don, and thank you so much for your involment in this thing.

Sadly, the golden sticker on the metallic part of the screen says "Studiotek 130". Nothing else on the product itself. There's only another sticker on the carton box, filled with a black pen, but it doesnt mention the fabric. Just the customer (in this case, my dealer), the model (LX 123 HD) and other details about image size, masking and special features (in my case, a European voltage 220 V motor), plus the serial number.

I emailed you in private with all the details about the dealer, my serial nr and some email exchanges we had.

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks a lot Don.

I really appreciate. And living in the country of No Service, I'm touched.

I just emailed the dealer and I'm waiting for his answer. I hope I won't have any problems with him (btw, I told him right from my first post that the pj I bought is a Marantz DLP vp12s1...). Apart from the shipping costs, I also had to pay 680 USD of customs taxes, and I wouldn't want to pay that amount twice, for a mistake HE made.

On a more positive note, waiting for a beauty like the Firehawk has been exciting. And now I will enjoy the waiting again ;)

And Scottatl, DO dish out the bucks. A service like this deserve all our support. And not only a moral one. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Lostchild,

I had a simular situation with a piece of electronic equipment I had to return to the US.

You can do a temporary export which means when the item returns you do not pay duty nor vat again.

UPS does not provide this service in Spain but BAX GLOBAL does. Perhaps it is the same case in Holland.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LostChild,

Don Stewart has taken care of you much the same way as he did for me. This is just another fine example of the company's dedication to it's products and customers. I'm hoping the rest of this forum has read my thread. Moonshadow....

·
Registered
155 Posts
This thread is an amazing testament to good customer service. It's a shame that so many other companies treat their customers like they don't exist when problems come up.

This type of support has convinced to purchase a Grayhawk within the next month or two.

Neil

·
Registered
327 Posts
Quite frankly I find this thread just a little bit weird. We have another case here of a U.S. Stewart dealer who has 'stuffed up', requiring the president of the company, Don Stewart, to intervene and sort things out.

I can only repeat, where I come from, if a retailer sends the wrong product, they fix the mistake promptly and willingly with as little inconvenience and as little extra cost to the customer as possible. It's normal business practice again.

Don Stewart seems to be having trouble with his dealers. I still haven't got a response to my question, "If I pay double the U.S. price in Australia for a Firehawk, do I get double the service? Furthermore, do I need double the service and if so, why do I need double the service?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
barryz:

The nature of business for most manufacturers is that they want a nice wide distribution channel for their products. Don & Co. either have the choice of being so picky about the quality of their dealers that they sell 1/10 as many screens, or they sign up a wide body of dealers to represent their product and with that is going to come a few bad apples. I agree that the dealer in this thread is the one that should have stepped up to the plate, but if he didn't, isn't it great that Don intervened?

As for your Australian pricing, I agree it is a ***** but it seems like it is what it is. The issue of the differences between pricing between various countries has been discussed endlessly on this forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=143859
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=7

I suspect there are any number of dealers that would be happy to ship you a screen from the US (assuming you could save money that way) and I don't think it would take much effort to find one. Good luck.

p.s. Whise subwoofers are made in Austraila. Check out what they cost there versus here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.