Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been looking at getting a new 46" HLP Sammy for some time now, but I would also like to know my best options for a RP CRT and maybe save a little money. (buying a new house and all) I have been researching DLP, LCOS and RP LCD so long that I really don't know that much about the less expensive RP CRT's.

I'm looking for something in the 46" - 50" range. I don't like screen glare and some of the RP CRT's just don't look that good in the stores. On the other hand I've read many posts here that still claim that this older technology is the best bang for you buck. Please post any recommendations in this size class. Thanks much....

Jimboeau

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Take a look at the Panasonic X54 series. The 47" PT-47x54 is about the best CRT projection set I've seen under 50 inches. MSRP is $1399 and it can be had for $1100-$1200 on sale.

If you'll be sitting 12 feet or more from the TV, take a look at the 53" version, which runs $150-$200 more.

There are several threads on this forum about the X54; try a search.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i suggest looking at the 51s715..or if u don't need the extra features and are more budget concerned...take a look at the 51f510....both great looking sets.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was recently in the market for a 46 - 50 inch set myself. I followed the advice on this board and checked out the 47X54. It looked nice, but I spotted something with a significantly better picture right next to it. The Sony 51WS520. My other set is a Hitachi 57X500, but the Sony is getting all the attention for HD watching. It seems to be an attempt by Sony to combine the best elements of CRT's (excellent black levels, no motion blurring, natural colors, low cost), and LCD's/DLP's (Detailed picture, wider viewing angles, brightness, thin profile cabinet). I would recommend you look at the Sony, Panasonic, and Hitachi F series before making a decision.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
The Mitsubishi 48" sets have an easily removable protective screen for zero glare (instructions are in the manual). The Panny's used to come in two versions, one with and one without the glare screen. I believe the new models have the screen but I'm not sure how easily removable it is.

Whichever model you get...make sure you can remove the glare screen easily. You can probably find info on this in the owner;s threads. You can find the owner's threads in the **RPTV Forum Popular Threads **.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the great advise guys. I guess I'm looking for something as close to the Sammy DLP without being a DLP. The Sony and Panny sound promising. What is the best way to avoid burn-in on those two sets?

·
Registered
117 Posts
simply turn down brightness and contrast and avoid leaving a static screen on for too long. crt's have improved greatly over the years in terms of burn in, and there shouldn't be a huge problem, but don't fall asleep and forget to turn off your tv when it's on a static screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.