AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new JL Audio E112 subwoofer.My problem is,in some songs it doesn't give hard-hitting feeling(or loudness) as much as my B&W 683 floorstanders,at moderate volume levels of receiver.(Though it is possible that I am feeling wrong)Is it normal?

I think the bass I am talking about is not much deep.I wonder if the reason is that my receiver gives less output to my subwoofer,or something like that.

Current settings are:
crossover:50 hz(on receiver)
Fronts:Small SW: Yes
Master level on subwoofer: 0 (it's in the middle)
Channel level on receiver: Fronts: 0 db Subwoofer: +2db

Subwoofer is positioned at the corner of the room.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Raise the crossover to 80 Hz or 100 Hz.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raise the crossover to 80 Hz or 100 Hz.
I had tried to change crossover frequency to 50hz,80hz,150hz even 200hz but I hadn't tried 100hz.A few minutes ago,after reading your reply, I tried 100hz and I don't want to say for certain(because sometimes I regret) but it seems very much like 100hz did the trick!Thank you.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I had tried to change crossover frequency to 50hz,80hz,150hz even 200hz but I hadn't tried 100hz.A few minutes ago,after reading your reply, I tried 100hz and I don't want to say for certain(because sometimes I regret) but it seems very much like 100hz did the trick!Thank you.
You're welcome! Glad it worked out for you!

·
Registered
12,977 Posts
You may also want to bump up the trim on the sub as well, most folks around here like to run their subs a little hotter than the auto setup does. ;)

Reactions: TomC1315

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You may also want to bump up the trim on the sub as well, most folks around here like to run their subs a little hotter than the auto setup does. ;)
Alan, I am the odd one out on this one, lol. I guess I have been listening to everything flat for to long.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
It helps to know what content is being played, if it even has < 100Hz material. It could be that the mains have a muddy bass that GOES AWAY when bass management is enabled, too.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I wonder if the reason is that my receiver gives less output to my subwoofer,or something like that.
The reason is how the engineer mixed it. If he put most of the low content below the crossover frequency it will come out of the sub, if he put most of it above the crossover frequency it will come out of the mains. The cure is to set the crossover high enough so that all of the bass content comes out of the sub. That is the point for having subs in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts