AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm all setup and loving my XP setup.

HD4650

Xonar D2X sound card (going analog out to old receiver)

HiFi speakers

PowerDVD 8 Ultra

LG HD-DVD/BluRay combo drive

I honestly don't have any complaints with the setup in XP, however, I'm just curious as I read about EVR and Vista advanced audio, I can't help but be curious if I'm missing out on something. Or, if I should leave it as is and be happy. Anyone with some actual techy stuff that can sway me either way? Pls, without this turning into a fanboy he said she said thread

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever /forum/post/15412802

I'm all setup and loving my XP setup.

Then don't change; it's not worth the effort.
Quote:
I'm just curious as I read about EVR and Vista advanced audio, I can't help but be curious if I'm missing out on something.

Audio is better in Vista but you can work with the limitations of XP. Make sure you don't use any volume control from XP if using standard windows audio (XP does 16 bit calculations!). You should tweak the sample rate too but I've forgotten in what way, sorry.
Quote:
Or, if I should leave it as is and be happy.

Not worth the change for audio+video benefits alone. If it's not only an HTPC but also your main system it may be worth it, but hardware requirements are steeper so if the hardware is from the XP era I wouldn't make the change. But put it on any new systems you build before Windows 7.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMR /forum/post/15412933

Then don't change; it's not worth the effort.

I agree; if it is not broken, do not fix it. There are so many things that inevitably will go wrong. After you have used your HTPC for a while and decided you need to upgrade or just a change, that is the time to move to a new OS.

Audio wise Vista is completely different than XP. Most audio tasks were moved into User mode (for stability reasons) and the audio engine is all processed in floating point. This causes a conversion from int to float back to int but allows for better processing for mixing, src, and other tasks. Vista is also more deterministic in that you can set what the output sampling rate is going to be rather than have the OS select for you. All of this adds up to a better audio system than XP buy not one you will notice if your setup is perfect.

-Rian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.