AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The soon-to-be discontinued NAD 742 is available for the same price as the recently-reduced Outlaw 1050. The outlaw has a slightly higher power rating and a sixth amp channel for its proprietary 6.1 processing. But I have liked NAD stuff in the past and I did not like the inclusion of DSP modes ("Hall," "Stadium," etc.) in the Outlaw unit. [Those things are typically only for impressing the rubes in a showroom and Outlaw is Internet-only so I just don't get that.] However, the Outlaw unit is very well respected. I will be driving small NHT in-walls and viewing a Panny 37-inch PSCAN Plasma. The DVD is a progressive-scan HK DVD-50, but that is "borrowed". 85% of the system will be used just for Channel-surfing and Tivo, with the rest equal parts Radio, DVD Movies, and Music CD. I regrettably cannot budget for what the dealers will be asking for the new NAD 743 when it arrives.

I am also considering the new mass-market digital amp all-in-ones.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well I don't have the T742, but I do have the T762... and it's no secret that I love it.

Right now it is driving essentially an all Def. Tech. BP8-B speaker setup.

The operation of the NAD is simple, the sound is excellent in my setup (had considered and tried many comparably priced models from HK, Pioneer, and Denon).

I may be upgrading to the NAD T163 pre/pro and a Sherbourn 7/2100 setup, but that will be for a different set of speakers. For what I have now the NAD works very well, and once I got a home grounding issue sorted out the fan noise problem I was having when away. That is to say once I had my power outlet properly grounded I've yet to so much as hear the T762 fans come on at all, let alone be distracted by them.

I bought the NAD sight unseen, or rather hearing unheard ;). I'm a satisfied customer.

-Nathan

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just got the NAD 742 and have been terribly pleased with its performance. The 742 delivers more power and performance than I honestly expected. It doesn't have a ton of features, but it serves my purposes quite well. I got it to get me by until the 763 comes out in a month or two (which means that I'll be sellling my 742). I'm sure you'd be very happy with it, assuming that you don't need a 6th channel, which you probably wouldn't for a bedroom. My only caution for you would be the possibility of a short audio delay while the unit acquires the digital signal format when channel surfing with digital sources. I only use mine for DVDs, so I'm don't know whether this would be an issue or not. Perhaps someone with an NAD hooked up to DirectTV or something could speak to this...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.