AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I just recently purchased a PS3 and am now in the market for a nice new plasma set to go along with it.

Based on the fact that I now have a Blu-ray player in the PS3, I'd like to get a set that meets the following requirements:

46-50"

1080p/24p (native)

HDCP compliant

HDMI 1.3 compliant

Right now I'm currently leaning towards the Panasonic TH-50PZ77U. However, I'm unsure if it meets the above requirements because I'm having an extremely difficult time finding full specs for any of the TVs I've been researching.

Any thoughts on the Panasonic set? Any other sets I should be considering?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
well, if you MUST have a set that does proper cadence with 24hz multiples, and is 1080p, the decision has been made easy for you, because the only two 50" plasmas that fits that bill are the pio 5010 and 110fd... unless i'm missing something (and i'm sure someone will correct me if i am
)...

that may change in the coming year...

all modern plasmas will be hdcp compliant...

being hdmi 1.3 compliant doesn't really buy you anything at this point, but again, most should be...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/12885753

well, if you MUST have a set that does proper cadence with 24hz multiples, and is 1080p, the decision has been made easy for you, because the only two 50" plasmas that fits that bill are the pio 5010 and 110fd... unless i'm missing something (and i'm sure someone will correct me if i am
)...

that may change in the coming year...

all modern plasmas will be hdcp compliant...

being hdmi 1.3 compliant doesn't really buy you anything at this point, but again, most should be...

Hmm, not to sound like a smartass, but how do you know for sure that these sets meet the requirements in my first post?

I checked Pioneer's site, and the actual manual for the 5010, and there's no mention of it being 24p native. This is the problem I've been having because it seems none of the manufacturers are coming clean with their full specifications. I find it incredibly difficult to make a truly informed purchase decision as a result.

BTW, any chance I'll be able to find a native 1080p/24p set for under $3000? If not, how big of a deal is it to have a set that does not support 24p?

I've heard that all Blu-ray movies are output in this and that if your TV does not support 24p then you will notice juddering in the movies. This is something I'm not willing to put up with if I'm going to drop $2-3K on a new set.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlyd /forum/post/12886449

if your going to do alot of gaming a lcd might be better for you

fiddlyD

I thought my research was complete, what do you mean get a lcd.... i game !!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlyd /forum/post/12886449

if your going to do alot of gaming a lcd might be better for you

Really? I heard the exact opposite. I've read that plasmas produce better blacks than LCDs therefore are better for gaming and movies. Also, I've read that LCDs have issues with fast moving scenery.

What about DLP?

·
Registered
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvlyne /forum/post/12886363

I've heard that all Blu-ray movies are output in this and that if your TV does not support 24p then you will notice juddering in the movies. This is something I'm not willing to put up with if I'm going to drop $2-3K on a new set.

Ccotenj is correct. You seem to be misunderstanding the whole 24hz thing. Lots (probably the majority) of sets will accept a 24hz input (as from a Bluray movie), but most have to do 3:2 pulldown on the input signal before displaying it at 60hz on the screen - which is what causes judder. The Pioneers that were mentioned can do a perfect 2 or 3x multiple of the input signal - thus having a judder-free image. You should be buying a Pioneer. Although by the end of '08 there may be several companies putting out tv's that do what the Pio's do now.

I personally don't have a problem with that whole issue, and am quite happy w/ my Sammy 5084.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@the_gunner, can I please get your thoughts on this set . Would I notice any judder on this set or is that really just a subjective thing based on how sensitive an individual might be?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gunner /forum/post/12886563

I personally don't have a problem with that whole issue, and am quite happy w/ my Sammy 5084.

frankly, i don't think the op would have problem with telecine related judder either, since he doesn't appear to know what it is or what causes it...
if he did, he would have noticed in the pioneer brochure for the 5010 that it clearly states that it does 3:3 pulldown , not to mention several times in the manual...

op... how do i "know"? the "great plasma information god" came down from the sky and did a vulcan mind-meld on me...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/12887173

frankly, i don't think the op would have problem with telecine related judder either, since he doesn't appear to know what it is or what causes it...
if he did, he would have noticed in the pioneer brochure for the 5010 that it clearly states that it does 3:3 pulldown , not to mention several times in the manual...

op... how do i "know"? the "great plasma information god" came down from the sky and did a vulcan mind-meld on me...

Ok, no need to be a smartass in return. I didn't know that 3:3 meant it supports 24p.

Also, I have noticed some kind of so called "juddering" before. A friend of my has a Samsung plasma, not sure what model, but when we play Guitar Hero on his 360 it seems like it jerks every 10 seconds or so. I'm assuming this is the so called "juddering" that I keep seeing referred to.

Look, I just don't want to buy a nice new 1080p set to go along with my PS3 and then notice an incessant amount of jerking, juddering or whatever you want to call it when I watch a Blu-ray movie.

Bottom-line, will the Panasonic TH-50PZ77U provide good black levels for me to game on and not introduce any juddering when I try to watch a Blu-ray movie?

·
Registered
365 Posts
To answer your question posed to me... Subjective thing. 'Casual' viewers might not notice anything. AVS forum type people will probably be more likely to notice such things. Many AVS-ers like that set. I was going to buy a 50" Panny before I found the Sammy that I took home.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvlyne /forum/post/12887268

Ok, no need to be a smartass in return. I didn't know that 3:3 meant it supports 24p.

Also, I have noticed some kind of so called "juddering" before. A friend of my has a Samsung plasma, not sure what model, but when we play Guitar Hero on his 360 it seems like it jerks every 10 seconds or so. I'm assuming this is the so called "juddering" that I keep seeing referred to.

This is not telecine related judder. The judder that 3:3 pulldown can help eliminate can only occur when watching a movie. It stems from movies being filmed at 24 frames per second, and the TV converting this to 60 frames per second. Obviously 60 is not evenly divisible by 24. The 3:3 pulldown allows a set to refresh each of the frames of the movie three times thereby changing the refresh rate of the display to 72 Hz.[/quote]

Quote:
Look, I just don't want to buy a nice new 1080p set to go along with my PS3 and then notice an incessant amount of jerking, juddering or whatever you want to call it when I watch a Blu-ray movie.

If you don't see tons of judder on your set now, then you won't see it on any new set you buy. The addition of proper 24p support only incrementally helps the overall picture quality.

Quote:
Bottom-line, will the Panasonic TH-50PZ77U provide good black levels for me to game on and not introduce any juddering when I try to watch a Blu-ray movie?

If proper 24p support -- meaning the display changes its refresh rate to a multiple of 24 -- is important to you, then you know that this set will not do this. Here's a list of the sets I'm aware of which can display 24 fps material properly:

All recent Pioneer Plasmas,

Sony XBR4 series LCDs,

Panasonic Professional PF10UK series plasmas,

Samsung 71F series LCDs,

and I think the newest Toshiba LCDs do it as well. Sorry if I missed a few.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gunner /forum/post/12887272

To answer your question posed to me... Subjective thing. 'Casual' viewers might not notice anything. AVS forum type people will probably be more likely to notice such things. Many AVS-ers like that set. I was going to buy a 50" Panny before I found the Sammy that I took home.

Hmm, so what was your deciding factor in choosing the Sammy? Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@cjm7c, thank you for the explanation. I must not be sensitive to this phenomenon then because I have not noticed on my current set. I must admit though that I'm surprised all movies are filmed at 24 fps, but only in recent months have TV sets started to support this. Thanks

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvlyne /forum/post/12887629

@cjm7c, thank you for the explanation. I must not be sensitive to this phenomenon then because I have not noticed on my current set. I must admit though that I'm surprised all movies are filmed at 24 fps, but only in recent months have TV sets started to support this. Thanks

sorry i was tough on you...

the great majority of people don't notice judder... and i mean GREAT majority... keep in mind that some things on avs can get blown out of proportion ridiculously... it's more of a sales bullet point than anything else... i'm not saying SOME don't notice it, or that you can't be trained to look for it, but i would say for most, it's hardly a make or break point in a purchase decision...

as far as burn-in goes, you'd have to seriously abuse a modern plasma to burn it in... is it possible? sure, anything is possible, but anecdotal evidence would seem to suggest it's pretty difficult.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvlyne /forum/post/12887629

Until just recently there were no sources that would output 24fps either, but that's slowly changing.

·
Registered
365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryvlyne /forum/post/12887483

Hmm, so what was your deciding factor in choosing the Sammy? Thanks

Features (3 HDMI, lots of pic adjustments, multiple burn protection features) and price made it impossible to pass up, at the time. I was able to get a large discount at a B&M that made it a no brainer. I also wasn't very fond of the coating on the Panny screens...seemed to 'dull' the picture. But the newer series have supposedly improved that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts