AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my parents are finally fed up with our current 50" lcd projection sony tv. Thanks to a defective optical block, the thing gave out after 4 years. So now we are looking for a 50" plasma. To put it simply, I'm asking for 3 suggestions sort of, since my expertise in displays doesn't really go beyond lcd monitors.

The budget my parents were looking at was under 2000, but under 1500 would be phenomenal. I can also get a deal on a Panny at target, but i'm not sure how it stacks up.

So my question to you AVS peeps, is

1080p, 50" plasma

- Best choice

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pioneer KRP 500M 50" monitor (if you don't need speakers or a built-in tuner). You could buy speaker separates that would match from others with Pioneer TVs, and if they watch cable TV, they don't need a tuner.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was in the same predicament as you several weeks back. I opted for the Panasonic 50-inch G15 as the store I got it in didn't have the G10 anymore. You can find the G15 for under $1400 if you ask around the stores. I would suggest HHGregg or ABC Warehouse, they wheel and deal. Its also probably your best Plasma for the money. Originally I went for the Samsung B650 but couldn't find it anywhere, I'm glad I didn't...after this weekends calibration and what I have read about the 650 I made the right choice.

·
Banned
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteggyB /forum/post/16847462

So my parents are finally fed up with our current 50" lcd projection sony tv. Thanks to a defective optical block, the thing gave out after 4 years. So now we are looking for a 50" plasma. To put it simply, I'm asking for 3 suggestions sort of, since my expertise in displays doesn't really go beyond lcd monitors.

The budget my parents were looking at was under 2000, but under 1500 would be phenomenal. I can also get a deal on a Panny at target, but i'm not sure how it stacks up.

So my question to you AVS peeps, is

1080p, 50" plasma

- Best choice

·
Banned
1,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteggyB /forum/post/16847739

Ok, so for under 1500, there's

Panny U1 - $1100

Panny G10 - $1350

Panny G15 - 1390

So what are the pros/cons to each choice, and more importantly, the differences? lol.

The U1 doesn't belong on your list, it's a bare bones model that doesn't have a NEO panel. The G10 and G15 are the same TV, with the exception of a design element.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteggyB /forum/post/16847739

Ok, so for under 1500, there's

Panny U1 - $1100

Panny G10 - $1350

Panny G15 - 1390

So what are the pros/cons to each choice, and more importantly, the differences? lol.

You can get a Sammy PN50B650 for the same price or less than a G10 and it has a better picture and more features than the Panasonic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/16848226

You can get a Sammy PN50B650 for the same price or less than a G10 and it has a better picture and more features than the Panasonic.

well the general consensus i gathered from reading this site is plasma = panny or pio.

My parents seem pretty set on the G10 now. My mom was saying "oh i was going to just mention that one i read cnet, you just confirmed it we should get it now!" or something along those lines haha.

Though it was funny. I was warning my dad to not be deceived by the plasma being next to LCD's and how it will look like a darker picture because of the fluorescent lighting + a plasma's glass pane, but in real situations it will be nice and bright, he dismissed that and sure enough he was falling for it when he went browsing at the local store haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.