AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to get a recorder soon, mainly to plug my camcorder in via firewire and make unedited DVD's. My mom wants movies of her new grandson. I have a few computers with the right hardware and editing software, but don't really have the time to learn the software and do the editing. So I thought I could burn her some quick discs for now and save the raw footage on tape for later editing. With this in mind I was looking at a cheap $89 LG recorder and almost pulled the trigger. At the last second I decided to come back here, after long hiatus, and see what was said about it.

Well one thread led to another and I realized these things can do a lot more than I realized. I more interested in the HD based ones now and recording 16:9 content from my SA8300HD. It doesn't take long the fill the HD on it with HiDef content. I watch a lot of the HBO series Deadwood, Sopranos, BigLove, Rome....I would like to put these on disc in 16:9 format to make space and get me through until the season sets are released. Basically what I want to do:

Make 16:9 dvds from minidv camcorder.

Make 16:9 dvds from STB s-vid or component

Easily upgrade HDD in recorder, would be nice.

If recorder puts the wide flag to disc without using computer thats a plus.

Easy for the wife to use would be good, but not needed.

A decent price is big factor $250 +/-

I don't want top of the line or bleeding edge technology, the home vidz are temp until I can get them right with computer, the captured HiDef is until the Season sets go on sale, so I don't need the best PQ possible. Just looking for something decent, fun and no big hassle. All suggestions are welcome. Playback isn't even that big of a concern, I have other DVD Players that do fine.

peace.

unloaded

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
With a $250 budget, your HDD choices will be limited (Wal-Mart Polaroid, others??). To determine which type of input you need, you need to determine on which output's your HD DVR sends the widescreen flag or buy a DVDR that allows you to set the flag.

My setup works so well I haven't looked for others yet (Sony HD DVR outputs flag via s-video to old Panny DVD-RAM...edit out commercials on PC (frame accurate) and then burn)

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
The only HDD recorder with component inputs that comes to mind is the Polaroid 2001G -which has been mentioned. Surprisingly it fits your budget. But it may be tough to find one because I think inventory is limited to shelf stock at Walmart. It can no longer be ordered online.

Are you sure you need component inputs? If not then your choices increase.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got a Polaroid today after going to 3 different Walmarts, all giving me the run around. Wound up buying the display model at the last one for a discount. Only came with the manual and remote. Probably won't get a chance to play with it for a few days, I'll post how I get along with it then.

There might be a few available next week in the boxes. First store I went to only had the display, they scanned it to check inventory. "None here and blocked by manufacturer, so probably no more."..."Eastside store shows two in inventory." She calls and they only have the display. Store in the town 20miles south show 5 in inventory so I drive down there. I get there and on the way to electronics notice lots of empty shelf space. I get there and only the display. I tell they showed 5 on the scanner. "We're opening our new store Monday morning, they must be there, come back then." She scans tag and checks some other stores, one 20 miles east of my town shows a few, so she calls to check, tells em exactly what I'm looking for..they have two in the box, she asks them to hold one for me and I go to get it. When I get there and give them my name she reaches behind the counter and pulls up the box with a portable dvd player in it! Arrrrrrrgggg! I tell her No and show her what I want. "Nope we don't have any of those and thats not what the other lady told me" She's wrong, I heard the other end of the conversation. I ask how much for the display, pay for it and get back on the road home. Hope it's worth it. Hate it when I get obsessed, felt like a crackhead trying to get a fix. 8)

peace.

unloaded

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.