AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking to upgrade Klipsch Quintet II's, with a budget of $500-700 for a pair of fronts and a center channel. As for my sub and surrounds, I've just recently ordered a eD A2-300 subwoofer, and I'll probably just use two quintet satellites for surrounds, until I can buy another pair to replace them. (Is this advisable?)

My receiver is a Denon AVR-888(aka 2308).

Usage:

75% - Movies

25% - Video Games

0% - Music

I'm also pretty limited when it comes to the dimensions of the speaker. Maximum 8" Width and 7" Depth, otherwise it won't fit on my wall mount.

I've yet to do a lot of research on this (just decided on upgrading today), and I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
554 Posts
With such a high % on movie's then I assume you'll be getting a center channel speaker that will match the bookshelves? Is the budget $500-700 for the three?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnickrand /forum/post/14186020

With such a high % on movie's then I assume you'll be getting a center channel speaker that will match the bookshelves? Is the budget $500-700 for the three?

Yeah, I'm looking at $500-700 for the three, and trying to match the center channel with the bookshelves.

A few things I'm wondering:

My listening area is about 12x12, so I don't need to go too loud. Is this 500-700 a reasonable budget?

Is it sensible to upgrade the fronts, center and sub, while (temporarily) skimping on the two surrounds?

I've noticed that a lot of brand names (Klipsch, Polk, etc...) are quite popular on these forums. Is buying speakers not like buying subwoofers, where internet direct blows brand names away?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wow. these need to be small...

Try contacting ********** and see if they will sell you 3 of these

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Is this 500-700 a reasonable budget?

It's enough to buy you PSB Alphas, or a similar setup from Paradigm. So yes, very reasonable. Look for dealers in your area who carry those two brands.

Quote:
Is it sensible to upgrade the fronts, center and sub, while (temporarily) skimping on the two surrounds?

Absolutely.

Quote:
I've noticed that a lot of brand names (Klipsch, Polk, etc...) are quite popular on these forums. Is buying speakers not like buying subwoofers, where internet direct blows brand names away?

Klipsch and Polk are popular because they are sold everywhere, so lots of people have them, and people tend to like what they have (and have what they like). Which is not to say they're bad speakers, by the way.

I'm not sure I accept your premise that Internet direct subs "blow brand names away." In my experience, Internet direct is just a marketing strategy, and tells you nothing about the quality of the product, or the value.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/14186405

It's enough to buy you PSB Alphas, or a similar setup from Paradigm. So yes, very reasonable. Look for dealers in your area who carry those two brands.

Absolutely.

Klipsch and Polk are popular because they are sold everywhere, so lots of people have them, and people tend to like what they have (and have what they like). Which is not to say they're bad speakers, by the way.

I'm not sure I accept your premise that Internet direct subs "blow brand names away." In my experience, Internet direct is just a marketing strategy, and tells you nothing about the quality of the product, or the value.

What I meant about the Internet Direct subs is that it seems that you can get much better value buying a sub online from a manufacturer like Hsu, Epik, eD, etc... than store-bought brands like Klipsch, Polk, Velodyne, etc... Better quality for cheaper price.

Thanks for the feedback, though. That's really helpful. I bought(aka borrowed) a pair of Klipsch RB-10's & an RC-10, just for the sake of trying them out, I find that I can go louder than my Quintet's without getting any noticeable distortion, but to me, the difference isn't worth $4-500, let alone the $650 I paid for them. They look ugly on my shelves too. I'll play with them a little more before returning them.

I'm starting to question whether I should even bother upgrading now, or keep my Quintets.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Try out the Emotiva ERM-1's. They are on sale right now for $229 each (usually $299 each) so $687 for all three AND free shipping. They are getting great reviews and seem to be a knockout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts