AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to get some new speakers for my front room and would like a bit of advice if anyone would be so kind

I've currently got a pair of old Mission M31s running as the two main speakers from my Sony STR-DN850 with Yamahas providing the centre rear and sub which I'm very happy with for watching films.

I would like to replace the Missions though for when I'm listening to music. I've got a budget of around £300 and I'm happy to look at either new or used speakers. Is there anything that someone can recommend me for this setup?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking to get some new speakers for my front room and would like a bit of advice if anyone would be so kind

I've currently got a pair of old Mission M31s running as the two main speakers from my Sony STR-DN850 with Yamahas providing the centre rear and sub which I'm very happy with for watching films.

I would like to replace the Missions though for when I'm listening to music. I've got a budget of around £300 and I'm happy to look at either new or used speakers. Is there anything that someone can recommend me for this setup?

You do realize you should timbre match the center and front mains right? Otherwise it tends to sound strange when a sound passes left to right and changes when going across the center channel.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I own and recommend Ascend Acoustics. ID companies give you great bang for the buck. Having said that, speaker preferences are very personal and we all have individual and unique ears. Many people swear by SVS also, though reports of brightness scared me away. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmm, can't log in via facebook at work...

I can live with the timbre not matching. They don't match now anyway and it doesn't sound terrible. I don't use the mid when I'm listening to music, and this upgrade is primarily for when I'm switching to stereo to listen to music.

Annoyingly I'm realising that my current speakers are quite short, and that my wall brackets will need to be lowered to accomadate a lot of the bookshelf speakers, which seem to be taller than they once were. Those Tannoys are massively tall in comparison (the Missions are really deep instead). Might pop into Richer Sounds and see if I can have a listen to them.

Do Ascend Acoustics have a UK stockists? Quite interested in them.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You do realize you should timbre match the center and front mains right? Otherwise it tends to sound strange when a sound passes left to right and changes when going across the center channel.
You should, but its not a necessity. I have successfully mismatched fronts and centers and have found very good results. At least i havent noticed them to be a bad experience, to say the least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts