AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting started on the research for this RPTV, which I plan to buy in the next 2-3 months. Sets I'm considering so far are:

Toshiba 40H80

Panasonic PT-47WX51

Other recommendations? This is to be hooked up to a Panasonic RP-91 progressive scan DVD player. Most viewing is anamorphic DVDs, with the occasional bit of full-frame material. HDTV-ready is fine, since I don't have any HDTV sources yet and don't plan on getting into it for a while.

edaly

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Mitsubishi WT-46807

I could not be more happy with this set. They are replacing it with a WT-46809 in about a month or so, but don't be fooled by a later model. Many people have already declared the new model a "step back" on that specific product. I say, if you can find a local dealer, get the 46807 ASAP. I got mine for $1800 recently.

------------------
ADebar's DVD Profiler

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The Mitsubishi 46807 is one of my favorites too. I personally dislike the Mitsubishi internal line doublers and would suggest getting an external one eventually with this set.

The Philips 60PP9601 (60" 4:3, 55" 16:9, squeeze selectable) is $2199 at Costco. Be warned that the color on the interlaced inputs may be weak; it's possible that an ISF'ing would fix this, but I only use the progressive inputs on mine (external line doubler.) For HD, rest assured that its color and resolution is spectacular.

Costco has other deals as well.

As you probably have heard, there are efforts to install a copy protection scheme for HDTV, which would render nearly all past HDTV sets "obsolete." However, this will only affect satellite and cable HDTV, and my personal guess is that it will only affect pay-per-view. I think as long as you're spending only $2000ish right now, you shouldn't worry too much about it. By the time copy protection becomes a nuisance, you might be able to buy a $1000 set with copy protection and a superior display compared to your $2000 set now. But I could be wrong.

There are other sets at Costco too, with good deals now on last year's models.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile, SD-M1201 DVD, IRMan

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer

nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! This is great advice. I'll put the Mitsubishi WT-46807 on my list, and the Toshiba 56H80 as well.

edaly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.