·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shouldnt audio/video be spelled either audeo/video or audio/vidio

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
That is the accepted spelling in Michigan and Wisconsin as well as some part of Canada.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I always say a/v, or picture/sound, or colors/noises.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Both words are Latin, meaning "I see" and "I listen", respectively.

But they're different conjugations - there are four different ending forms for Latin verbs. "Videre" has the second ("e"-based) form, and "audire" has the fourth ("i"-based).

A bit of web research shows that "audio" was initially used as a prefix from 1913, (such as in words like "audiophile", although that came later). Latin and Greek words are often used unaltered in English as prefixes (such as "sub-", "an-", "in-", "inter-", "intra-"). In 1934 "audio" was used as a word on its own, and then in 1935 "video" was coined to match.

There are much older English words based on the same Latin words - eg "vision" from the 13th century, and "audience" from the 14th century.

Anyway, the summary is: if you have a complaint, take it up with the ancient Romans.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Audeo is from the Latin and means Audacity. Not to be confused with Audio unless you are in the Lunatic Fringe section of the forum.

The term Vidio is common in forums where the person typing the word actually is missing their left middle finger and unable to hit an E key. They have been able to evolve and learn to use the right middle finger to hit the I key without changing the pronunciation of the word. History does not indicate what they were doing with said left middle finger to cause it to be lost although there are several theories.

..Doyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.