AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was out in my garage building some OAR black out panels for my screen, and a good friend called to talk...so I shut off the radial arm saw and sat down on my projector lift box to talk for an hour or so.

We both use about the same HT gear, so that gives us a very good reference point for all our HT talk.

We first talked about gear, then went into movies we'd just seen, or bought and not seen yet. One movie we spoke of was "Gandhi"

He'd bought it and watched it almost immediately, saying this movie has quite an effect on him, (or hinting at it anyway)

I'd bought it the day it came out, but still hadn't seen it...in fact we both hadn't seen it for about 10 years before this DVD was released.

After movie talk we got into the events for the world, and of coarse that means this war. Both being X-military we have a slant that moves in that direction.

After going in for the night and cleaning up, his words about Gandhi stayed with me and I decided to watch it...all I can say is this.

You may not agree with his complete philosophy, but this was a brave , and wonderous man in the extreme, one that we could all take a page or two from.

At this time in our history, this is a very timely movie...one that will make you think.

If you haven't seen it in a long time, as my friend said, you should...and if you've never seen it...what are you waiting for?

It is spellbinding in a very different way.

Ben Kingsley is AWESOME.

Do your spirit a favor, this will give all who watch it something to think about.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Keep in mind, however, that like many Hollywood depictions of history, the movie does NOT accurately portray historical facts.

It is a romanticized, distorted view of the man and his life.

If you really want to understand the historical Ghandi, a movie is not the way to do it.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I had never seen GHANDI before I watched my DVD of it twice. I'll proably watch it yet again soon. I think it's one of the best films I've ever seen and I have a new-found respect for the actual man. Ben Kingsley is, indeed, awesome!!! I think the film sheds some light on the troubled times we're living in presently. Take Kenny's advice and see this film if U never have! Kenny, I may have to watch it yet again due to your inspiration, soon. I'm about sick of SWPM and such....!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Robert, the film is an intresting starting point. I would eagerly read a biography of the man now, after viewing this totally X-cellent film. Best wishes!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the important thing to remember is hollywood is not in the business of filming biographies, nor would any of us want that.

This movie gives us a basic look into the man.

If you want to read about Gandhi a good book is "the essential Gandhi" by Louis Fischer.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I agree that the movie is timely and important. I bought the Laserdisc for fun, but I guess I should really check out the DVD instead. Maybe I'll buy the darn DVD instead. My Laserdisc is just a stereo Pioneer offering.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Yes, Gandhi had some warts that were left out of the film. But then there were people who insisted that he couldn't even be portrayed by a man at all, and insisted that he be shown only as a glowing light. Attenborough put an end to that silliness saying: "I'm making a film about a man, not bloody Tinkerbell!"

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hi All,

As Kenny and I have discussed and he has elaborated on here, I was supremely touched by the movie more for its message, its story, and as a deeply moving piece of filmmaking. I was far less concerned about its biographical accuracy.

If the man himself had never lived and this movie was merely presented as a work of fiction I would have been no less captivated by a gripping story about a man who dared to be brave and sought a way to bring about profound change through peaceful means. The story is the thing.

Having not seen this film for about 10 years, and then getting the DVD and watching it, I was only left to wonder about what might have kept me away from this film for so long. I cannot think of a good reason.

--Jerome

·
Registered
73 Posts
How's the music score? Who wrote it??? Just a fellow musician, interested in writing music for films...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.