AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is no one watching this show? So far all three patients seem interesting enough but the direction it'll take with the teenage girl seems far too obvious. I'm really looking forward to tonight with the couple, and then tomorrow with the therapist getting therapy.

I'm not sure I can handle 5 days a week tho... I'll probably pare down my patients after week 2.

The audio and picture were very good but I found the editing pace to be a little odd. I spent a little too much time trying to determine if the camera angle changes and editing pace changes meant something.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting show, not exactly a festival of fun, but worthwhile. It's a big viewing commitment if you're going to watch all five parts but I'm afraid that if you miss something in a session the Dr. has with a patient, then you won't know what's going on when he meets with Dianne Weist on Friday. From what I understand, a lot of the show is his reactions and how the patients effect him.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a few weeks, the above comment couldn't be truer... watching it almost feels like work now. I'm no therapist but I feel like I've seen enough TV to be one - after I stay in a Holiday Inn Express, look out!

2.5 hrs a week is just too much of a commitment for something so heavy. I don't need all my entertainment to be light-and-fluffy, but the season pass is gone.

·
Registered
28,028 Posts
I'm into it now. It's actually a pretty interesting work as well as an "actor's workshop". Yes, the time commitment is daunting with 2.5 hours a week, but those little half-hour segments seem to fly by quickly because the subject matter is so compelling. We just stack them on the DVR and watch them in big chunks. But you do have to see the Mon-Thurs episodes to appreciate what's going on in the Friday sessions with Gina.

·
Registered
21,213 Posts
I agree that In Treatment is interesting. It's smart, sophisticated, and extremely well acted. Paul's relationships with his patients, particularly Laura, are fascinating. Paul is at least as much of an emotional basket case as anybody he is treating. I am looking forward to learning more about what is going on with his wife and his own therapist, too.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
After watching this I have no idea why anyone would subject themselves to this "therapy".

And yet I can't stop watching.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_d_lopez /forum/post/13137367

i'm hooked, very good acting and interesting dialogue.

Me too. The episodes go by so quickly they seem almost too short sometimes. It's interesting to see how Paul interprets things and relates them to Gina. He seems about as difficult as his patients when it comes to talking about what really happened. And he's definitely got at thing for Laura. I know I do.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Out of the gate, this show has been a vast improvement over HBO's recent crop of new shows. Except for Flight of the Conchords, that show is very funny! So far, In Treatment's acting and writing is very good and seems to be getting better. I'll definitely be sticking with this one.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon /forum/post/13140573

After watching this I have no idea why anyone would subject themselves to this "therapy".

agreed and it is because we like watching train wrecks....

·
Registered
21,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon /forum/post/13140573

Quote:
Originally Posted by margate21 /forum/post/13156364

agreed and it is because we like watching train wrecks....

I agree that watching train wrecks is an apt analogy to watching In Treatment. For example, last night's Laura episode was creepy. Laura may be smart and sexy but she is so manipulative, she scares me to death! Still, Paul doesn't get it, or pretends not to get it, although his own therapist, Gina, clearly does get it. The worst part is that Laura seems to me not to be a bit more neurotic than either Paul or his other patients. Train wreck, indeed!

·
Registered
596 Posts
strange how people see things differently. i actually think laura REALLY is in to paul and is genuine. she is not scary to me, just sorta hot and sexy...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think this show is riveting -- can't take my eyes off of it (even though it is in HD, and there's not that much to look at!)

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Add me to the list of those how are fascinated by this show. Tremendous casting, and really gritty, believeable characters with flaws galore - including even the shrink's shrink. So far 30 min a day seems like no problem to invest at all.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
This show just keeps getting better and better. I see from the previews that Alex is back next week, but it's gotta be a bit awkward for both after Paul's physical manhandling of him, not to mention his seemingly obvious to everyone feelings about Laura.

And poor Sophie. I just wish she'd drop her defenses already and let Paul in so he can help her.

I also really dig the way this show is structured, with an episode every weeknight. It wouldn't work as it does if we only saw Paul and one patient, and it wouldn't work if they tried to cram several patients into one hour long episode each week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Another stunning episode last night with Laura. The last scene was immensely tense. Very gripping series...what I thought would be a difficult show to follow is in fact rewarding every night of the week. I hope they keep it on.

Don't forget guys, you know when a show is good when it takes place in one location...a therapist's office no less!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
From the infrequent posting in here I thought I was the only one still watching. I am so seriously hooked on this show. Paul is turning into a bigger train wreck than any of his patients. He's got some serious fortitude to be able to resist Laura, though.

·
Registered
830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483 /forum/post/13288137

Another stunning episode last night with Laura. The last scene was immensely tense. Very gripping series...what I thought would be a difficult show to follow is in fact rewarding every night of the week. I hope they keep it on.

Don't forget guys, you know when a show is good when it takes place in one location...a therapist's office no less!

I am not happy with all of the unethical behavior of Paul. It just reinforces stereotypes of bad therapists.

·
Registered
28,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0 /forum/post/13293201

From the infrequent posting in here I thought I was the only one still watching. I am so seriously hooked on this show. Paul is turning into a bigger train wreck than any of his patients. He's got some serious fortitude to be able to resist Laura, though.

We just can't seem to get caught up, still a week behind. Two and a half hours a week is kind of daunting. So, I'm reluctant to come on here in case anyone is discussing "recent" events.

I do appreciate the show a little more every episode, though. Some really strong stuff here, and much more accessible (and less depressing) than HBO's other psychotherapy show, 'Tell Me You Love Me'. Amazing acting performances all around.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts