AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you bass/acoustic/tube trap experts out there, let's just say that, in my 22 x 17' home theater, I have or could have as much as a 4' x 4' x 8' high enclosure BEHIND the wall on the entire left side, back side, and front right corner. If that is the case, shouldn't I just use those cavities, fill them with a couple cubic yards of insulation, and then cut some sort of slot in the sheetrock of the room to open it up to the trap? To make it look nice, I am using these wood frame, OC 703 panels that are 17" x 4-7 feet. Of course, the slot would go behind one of these so they would be invisible.

While I am using these cavities, is there anything wrong with mounting a sub (Bag-End Infra Sub in my case) flush with the wall, as though it were a bookshelf speaker? I can easily do that, and I know that I have to make sure that I find the right place to put it.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Randy

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll be using a similar setup (basstrap wise) in my HT, though I'm mostly using the roof space above the room (along with corner traps and a recessed wall) but the principle is the same, using deep traps to damp the lower bass frequencies that aren't usually affected by conventional traps.

Flush mounting the sub will provide a small sonic benifit and will look asthetically better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Volenti-

Are you putting slots in the walls, or ceiling in your case? Is there any math to the slots?

Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
While it would be great to use that space, it doesn't appear that it is anywhere near symmetrical left to right. I'd be careful doing it that way. Now, if you can fill them up and use them as sealed panel absorbers, that would work nicely. Still a bit of a symmetry issue, but not as big a deal as when you're absorbing the mids and highs.

Just make sure you calculate what the room really needs. It might need something up higher in frequency that would be tough to do with a 4' depth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.