Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning folks;

Did a bit of searchng but only kind of found and answer to one of my quesitons so will pose them both. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on properties of cables

I'm hoping for some recommendations on mediocre in wall cabling for my theater. I say meiocre as we will be flipping this house in a couple years and I don't feel it's worth a big investment in cables.

the 2 questions
  • Any recommendation on in wall component cables? I'm thinking just a open box at each end and running a finished cable through.
  • Inwall speakers cables, any issue with just using 12/2 braided (same a the stuff I run for power, but braided instead)?

For the componant video question, any recommendations on fairly decent product for cheap and ships quick? I'm in canada so something that could avoid customs would be preferred

Really appreciate any suggestions or insight to my questions

thanks

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
You don't need a box for low-voltage cable termination. If you want a plate you can hang it on an open bracket.

12/2 will be a MAJOR Pain In The Ass to braid, a standard PITA to run, and a minor PITA to connect. Why on earth would you even contemplate doing it? :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks DMF;

Not so worried about the boxes, and you can buy braided 12/2 or 14/2. I guess I was just curious if there was any reason this wire would be a bad choice.

As for the componant in wall cable, I was concerned about a finished cable as code requires all fire rated cable in wall. So I guess I'm still at a loss what to use.

Anyway thanks for the reply

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the wire. The is something wrong with the braiding. Besides the physical PITAness, you would be seriously increasing reactance in the cable. Depending on the source and sink impedances this may or may not produce a pronounced degradation. It cannot make it sound better.

Again, why on earth would you even contemplate doing it?

As for running video cable in-wall, what exactly does the code in your area require? Standard CL2 jacket is "fire rated". Do you know what is the rating of the cable you're considering?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
There is no difference in sound between braided and solid wire for speaker cabling. The frequencies are much too low for skin effect to be a factor. See http://www.roger-russell.com/wire.htm for realistic speaker wire info. Solid is just harder to use, especially in heavier guages.

As for component cables, why not make your own for the lengths you need to be perfect. Any RG59 coax with all copper conductors will do the job well. A compression tool or even a crimp tool and stripper plus the proper RCA connectors will do a fine job. All copper RG6 can also be used but is stiffer once again. Both cables are rated for in wall use.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_barrow
  • Inwall speakers cables, any issue with just using 12/2 braided (same a the stuff I run for power, but braided instead)?

thanks
Just want to through a little reality check out there on this one that might seem a little stupid-but-true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If it looks like it could be used for something else, eventually it will be
If you use line that looks suitable for 120V useage, someone, at some point, will attempt to use it as such if it's left in the walls long enough - i.e. future owners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.