AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running 14g speaker wire and two hdmi cables in the wall. I need 8ft hdmi cable. Whats the difference between all the hdmi cables out there. I really don't want to spend all that unnecessary money on Monster Cables. I heard monoprice is pretty could. I'm just worried that I will get blasted with duty charges shipping to Canada. Are there any Canadian sites I can order cables from and what should I look for in a decent hdmi cable and speaker wire. Also what kind of cables should I run from my audio componets to TV.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Monoprice.com rocks. I just got their 10-foot in-wall cables and the quality is terrific. I also bought an articulating wall mount for about 50 bucks and it too is excellent.

·
Registered
54 Posts
blue jeans cable is where I ordered mine from. Ordered one 15ft and one 6ft cable, the 28AWG cheapest made in China ones. Are you ordering only the 8ft HDMI cable? If you order under a certain amount you do not have to pay duties, I think it's under $20 not 100% sure though. Sometimes you can order more and not pay anything either, but that's only if you're lucky

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I would recommend the Blue Jeans Series 2 cable. Their 9-foot cable is only $16, and if that's all you order, the shipping is only $6 for US Postal Service.

Canada Post will likely not charge any handling fee or taxes for such a small order. The taxes are just GST +/- PST (depending on province), and the handling fee is at most $8. But like I said, for such a small order, it is very unlikely they'll charge you anything.

The same applies to Monoprice. Shipping with US Postal Service is cheap, and if you keep your orders small you won't have to pay extra handling charges or taxes. (I've dealt with both Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable.)

With larger orders, they'll hit you for the handling fee and taxes, but that's fine by me. I'm perfectly happy to pay $8 handling and normal GST/PST for my $150 orders.

Aside from these potential charges, there are no "duties" on these cables no matter how much your order is.

With other shipping methods such as UPS Standard or FedEx Ground you can get hit with high brokerage charges, but these aren't duties. These are handling fees charged by the brokerage company, not extra taxes from Canada. To avoid the brokerage charges, you can choose air shipping, but that can be quite expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts