AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question pertains to a new construction so there are really no limitations other than I would not like spend more than $150 per speaker and I am planning on doing a 7.1 setup. THe picture attached is the basic floorplan of the living room with some lovely (i.e. kindergarten level) drawings of where furniture will approximately be and look like. Based on the size/layout it seems to me that the best placement for the 4 surround speakers would be the ceiling since the back wall is kind of far away as are the side walls if there is one where the speaker should be placed. I have a Klipsch 10" (I believe, maybe 12) sub that will be part of the system and plan on purchasing the 3 front speakers separately unless there is a good 7.1 system that works. For the 4 surrounds and possibly front, would ceiling speakers work for what I am looking for? Or should I get satellites that can be more properly aimed towards the listening area?

The Onkyo HT-S7100 currently piques my interest for a speaker bundle but I am not sure if the 5x14x4 speakers would look alright ceiling mounted.

As far as in ceiling speakers, I have been looking at either 8" Polk or 8" HTD speakers. Are these a good choice in my price range?

If in ceiling isnt the best bet, then what should I be looking for based on the room dimensions and my budget? Please give me some options under $1000 for the 7 speakers I need to get.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
movies or music ? If your intent for the system is mostly movies, the surrounds do not need to match the 3 front speakers....the surround audio tracts in movies are mostly "positional" effects audio. For surround music, timbre matching is more important so the instruments do not change timbre or tone as they move between speakers.

Put the bulk of your budget in the front 3 and the subwoofer, in-ceiling units will work for the four surruounds as long as they have "aim-able" tweeters, otherwise they just down-fire into the carpet/floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably 75/25 TV and Movies/Music. Is there a decent set of 3 satellites for the front that would work for TV/Movies or should I be looking for something larger? In terms of the 4 rear surrounds, I have recently found Mirage nanosats for $50 each so I was thinking of getting those for surrounds instead of the built in if they would be better for the 25% music listening in 5-stereo or DVD-audio/concert DVD mixes or for $13 each the Monster built-ins are a steal. Would the larger Omnisats work for the 3 fronts in that size room or are they still be undersized (4.5" woofers)?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
some may disagree, but considering your room size, I think you should consider larger speakers for the front three and a 10" or 12" subwoofer. If you are considering the Mirage speakers, look at their Omnicans for in-ceiling surrounds. Often on sale at www.vanns.com . The nanosats are really small speakers, better considered for a den or bedroom with much less volume to fill.

For you $1k budget, I recommend you consider a 5.1 speaker system that can be expanded easily to 7.1 with new funds in the budget when available.

larger speakers (may not met WAF criteria)

Elemental Designs front 3 and sub http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_42

a bit smaller front 3 and sub from www.hsuresearch.com

smallest form factor, but surrounds are bookshelves
http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/..._84__0_0_0_-1/

just some ideas....there are many "speaker system for $1K" threads already on this site

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have a Klipsch KW12 so I will probably continue using that for now. I am thinking about the Monster 5.25 in-ceiling speakers since for $13 each they are worth trying in my budget.

Would the Polk RTi10 for fronts and a CSi A4 center work for the room size? How would they compare again the JBL L880/E80 and P25Z center?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts