AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is the right forum....I've got a front PJ setup with an acoustically transparent screen. I've swapped electronics and speakers over the last three years and there's still an annoying resonance noticeable in dialogue that appears to be related to the wall itself.

This is a false wall built on 24" OC spacing; drywall is glued and screwed. I've isolated the front three speakers with back boxes, although the effective enclosures are not huge (roughly 24"x24" ea). I think the issue I'm hearing is from the drywall not being rigid.

Current gear:
  • Polk 265-LS x 3
  • Polk 80/FX-LS x 4
  • Sherbourn 125x7 amp
  • Sherburn 7020C4 preamp
  • Sony PS3 for BluRay and Media Center
  • Crown XLS-1500 sub amp x 2
  • Fi Audio 18IB3 subs x 4

Here are the mains installed in the wall.

The gear and subs:

Potential solutions:

Enlarging the size of the enclosures behind to 24x48, removing the drywall from the front of the wall and replacing with MDF, bracing the front baffles to the rear of the backboxes, etc...

Any thoughts or suggestions here? Maybe I'm just used to listening to my other system with normal, enclosed speakers and that's got me "hearing things". I need to get REW and a mic to see what's going on...I know.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet - I don't have REW or a mic. I've been waiting to get the new Emotiva XMC-1 when is released (next month, IF they stick to the current release date) as it comes with a pro quality mic and Dirac.

Room treatments; I'll be doing a mix of ATS panels and making a bass trap from some leftover Roxul stone wool battens.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Is this a mechanical resonance? You can confirm this with REW without a mic. Just use its generator to sweep up and listen for buzzing and such. All you need is a headphone to RCA jack for your laptop to do this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.