AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a little off-topic (at least in the home theater sense), but I'm finishing my basement theater/club room, and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with building a stand to support a fish tank in the wall. It is for a 72"x18"x22" 125 gallon glass tank. I would like the bottom of the tank to be about 4 feet off the ground. My plan was to just frame out the wall as I normally would, but where the tank will be put an opening (like for a door) with a header, and have 4x4's holding up the tank at every corner, and perhaps 2 more 4x4's on each side in between (front and back). And then lay 2x4's horizontally as a "cap". I was going to use pressure treated lumber, but someone told me not to do that because the arsenic in the treatment could eat away at a tank if it has a metal frame. Even if this is the case, wouldn't it be okay to do this as long as I put some plywood in between the tank and the stand? Also, I would like to be able to put a 37 gallon underneath it for DIY filtration, but won't be able to get it in/out if I put as many "legs" as I'm planning on. Also, if I don't use the pressure treated, what if I just use cedar?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I'm no engineer or builder, but the tank support sounds good to me. Will there be a closet or room on the other side of the wall? How are you going to feed the fish? Wouldn't it be kinda dangerous to have a 37 gallon filter below the 125 gallon filter? Most gravity filters (?I think that's what they're called?) have the filter above the tank. That way, if there's a power outage, the water doesn't siphon out and go all over the floor. But you may have already thought that through.

There was a post a while back where someone wanted a fish tank behind their electric drop screen. I think there was a problem with having fish around the LFEs in the theater. Maybe you should search for that thread and see what that guy found out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
go visit the DIY forum of www.reefcentral.com

LOTS of hardcore reef aquarium poeple are doing this, and the forum is very active (just as, if not more than this one). go ahead and post some questions and look at what some others have done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 75 gallon reef overflow tank with a 20 gallon sump underneath and is ideal for many reasons (see reefcentral.com). Most aquariums are made of glass or acrylic so having a pressure treated support structure is fine. If you are using a salt water tank you should be worried about using metal anyway.

I would advise against making this tank in your home theater room wall. You are subjecting the tank inhabitants to light fluctuations from the screen, and noise vibrations from the speakers which will cause lots of stress on the fish. Glass tends to be a bad insulator for sound so you may not be able to contain the sound to the room (if that's something you desire).

My tank is not in my home theater for this very purpose. The fish tank produces lots of ambient light which isn't ideal for your home theater room. To shut off the fish light and subject the fish to constant light changes & loud noises on a daily basis is cruel.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I seem to recall in that other thread that although the belief was that the LFE vibration would harm the fish, the actuality was that it was perfectly ok to put the tank in there. This cam from some guy who professionally fitted and serviced aquariums for nightclubs.

To deal with light changes, you could always construct a set of drapes that cover the side of the tank facing the theater. Just draw the drapes when you watch a movie.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for pointing me to reefcentral.com. What a great forum! I was looking for a good aquarium forum and somehow never came accross that one.

As for the LFE's/Lights, I'm not really concerned about that as it will be out of the way of the theater, and won't even be within view of the screen.

FRH - Most glass tanks have metal bracing around the edges - that was my concern.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Well most reef ready are not metal bound. I'd go with Oceanic. I have kept several reef tanks in the past and currently have this http://samuland.com/obsessions/aqua/ 200G marine tank built in between my living and dining room. It is currently dry but that is another story.

I used 4x4s with a 2x4 base plus you will need to put down the styrofoam to help the torque issues for the slight imperfections in un-levelness. I have had no problems with this, I have however has some issues with rusted nails used in framing the wall around the tank. At some point it will need to be addressed.

Be very careful with your carpentry this tak will weigh a bunch, full mine is around 2500 lbs. So you would hate to see it tip over. I'd also consider double rocking the walls here as there will be some sound issues to deal with. You might think they are minor now but that notion will come back to haunt you later.

http://reefs.org/ and http://reefcentral.com/ are two very good sources of info suck as much knowledge as you can from them... if this is your first marine tank I'd consider a fish only tank, these things can be more expensive than HT equipment(I've got about $10K in my rig 4 of it is livestock) only everything will up and die on you if do something silly like not monitor the water temperature. They are also quite a bit of work so start slow and read read read.

If this is not your first tank... ignore all that I just said as you surely have experienced this before.

cardinal rule! Don't over stock!

have fun...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sam, your tank looks awesome in that spot. Great job. How high off the ground is it? It looks to be about where I want to put mine (4 feet from floor to bottom). Are you happy with it at that height?

I currently have a 40 gallon marine fish-only tank, and now that I have the room, I'm taking the plunge to 125. I'd love to do reef as well, but quite frankly I'm too busy and too lazy to worry about that, so I'll be sticking with fish-only.

·
Registered
171 Posts
42" is what height mine is at...

It's amazing ow long you can just sit and stare at one of these things.

If you look really hard at my pics you can see where I failed... got to fancy... who knew brass was made from zinc and COPPER! Crap!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm in the process of building my HT and decided to include my 55Gal long tank in one wall. It's really going to be cool once everything is finished. As for the lights, I use an X10 Activehome module that has a schedule set up for turning the lights on and off, but when I start a DVD it automatically overrides the program and turns off the tank lights, thus giving me a perfectly darkened room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.