Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a long time visitor to these forums (well... past 8 months) and have used this site as a very valuable tool to put together a home theatre package based upon the comments and reviews of the forum members. I currently have all my equipment sitting in my bedroom at home and it's now time to install. This is where I'm having some issues and my forum searches have turned up nill. I plan on having everything wall mounted and all wires running in-wall. The one thing I am having trouble with is finding video cables that can be used in-wall. I bought several cables from SAM'S Club (Philips brand) a couple months ago... but after reading some threads I am now under the assumption that these cables will not work for in-wall use.

Now for my questions. Am I correct in my assumption that the current cables I have will not work for in-wall use? Also, where can I purchase both speaker wire AND video cable for the in-wall usage? Any recommendations for speaker gauge as well as connectors (ex: banana plugs)? Finally, what wall mounts / brackets would you guys recommend? Below is my system set-up if it helps:

Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX500U

Denon 2805 Reciever

Denon 1920 DVD Player

Monster HTS5100 Power Center

Mirage OMNI S12 Subwoofer

Mirage Omnisat 50s (L, R, C and two surrounds - 5 total)

I want to get all cables connected to the Plasma before it wall mounts... even if I dont have use for them right away (save myself some trouble later on).

I'm really eager to hook everything up. I appreciate any and all help! Thanks.

David Nicolosi

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If you are in the U.S.A., in all likelihood any in-wall cables are going to be subject to a local electrical code which is based on some flavor of the National Electrical Code (NEC). If so, they have to meet certain requirements. If you use speaker cables with a UL CL3 (or CL3R or CL3P) rating, or one of the substitutes allowed by the code, you are generally good to go. Coaxial cables, like video cables, will generally need a UL CM (or CMR or CMP) rating, or one of the substitutes allowed by the code. If you cannot find what you need locally, you might try PartsExpress on the internet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I live in Arizona in the US and can't seem to find a local retail outlet that has what I need. I thought perhaps checking Radio Shack or even Home Depot... but have yet to do so since I wouldn't expect either would carry the quality cables I would need.

David

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
There is not much difference between in-wall rated speaker cables. They are all very similar. You can pay $.20/ft. for Carol architectural cable or over $1.00/ft. for Monster. But the materials and design are so similar that any differences will be inaudible assuming the same gauge. OTOH there are lots of coax cables with CM ratings that you can use for video and RF. IMHO Belden is top of the line because of the consistencey of the coax geometry. Still shouldn't set you back an arm and a leg. Just go for copper center conductor, good shield coverage and appropriate characteristic impedance (75 ohms).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.