Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a long time visitor to these forums (well... past 8 months) and have used this site as a very valuable tool to put together a home theatre package based upon the comments and reviews of the forum members. I currently have all my equipment sitting in my bedroom at home and it's now time to install. This is where I'm having some issues and my forum searches have turned up nill. I plan on having everything wall mounted and all wires running in-wall. The one thing I am having trouble with is finding video cables that can be used in-wall. I bought several cables from SAM'S Club (Philips brand) a couple months ago... but after reading some threads I am now under the assumption that these cables will not work for in-wall use.

Now for my questions. Am I correct in my assumption that the current cables I have will not work for in-wall use? Also, where can I purchase both speaker wire AND video cable for the in-wall usage? Any recommendations for speaker gauge as well as connectors (ex: banana plugs)? Finally, what wall mounts / brackets would you guys recommend? Below is my system set-up if it helps:

Panasonic Plasma TH-50PX500U

Denon 2805 Reciever

Denon 1920 DVD Player

Monster HTS5100 Power Center

Mirage OMNI S12 Subwoofer

Mirage Omnisat 50s (L, R, C and two surrounds - 5 total)

I want to get all cables connected to the Plasma before it wall mounts... even if I dont have use for them right away (save myself some trouble later on).

I'm really eager to hook everything up. I appreciate any and all help! Thanks.

David Nicolosi

PS: Hopefully I dont get myself in trouble for cross-posting... I accidently posted this to the DIY section when I meant for it to be posted here

·
Registered
261 Posts
I dont think It matters what kind of interconnect cables you select for in-wall use. I think the only reason to use special grade wires in walls is so you are compliant with building codes. I dont think interconnect pose any kind of risk (fire, etc..) becouse of the low current/voltage. Someone coorect me if im wrong.

In-wall speaker cables can be found at Lowes I believe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Hmm... can anyone confirm this? My local SAM's Club is selling the Philips cables pretty cheap and they seem like a decent lot of cables. Also, I read the latest PCWorld article in which they did comparisons of cables and the generics performed just as well as the high-end Monster and AudioQuest in most cases (differences were negligable). If anyone has any more info, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

David

·
Registered
223 Posts
Best Buy sells the in-wall speaker cables. Since I'm pretty decent with dry-wall mud, I might take the route of purchasing the real flat cables you place on the wall and cover with dry-wall mud..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just ran usual video cables through the wall. There are no potential risk involved and you should be OK with building codes. I bought 14 gauge speaker wires at Home Depot. They are designed for in-wall use. The only difference from usual wires is that in-wall wires have different outside insulation that makes them more "slippery" in the wall for pulling.

Art001

·
Registered
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art001
I just ran usual video cables through the wall. There are no potential risk involved and you should be OK with building codes. I bought 14 gauge speaker wires at Home Depot. They are designed for in-wall use. The only difference from usual wires is that in-wall wires have different outside insulation that makes them more "slippery" in the wall for pulling.

Art001

Actually, I beleive that the in wall and plenum rating has to do with flamability rating.

Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I defintiely appreciate the replies and think I'm good to go now with what I have. The only decision I have now is whether I want to try to install everything myself or hire a "pro" to do it. One guy quoted me at 6 hours to do just the speaker installation (and he charges per hour) which I thought seemed exaggerated. Has anyone tried an install on their own for wall moutning speakers with in-wall cabling? Any pitfalls I need to be aware of? Would you recommend having a pro do it or try it myself? Keep in mind that I doot consider myself much of a handy man. Thanks!

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.